Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, November 1, 2010

Stand, Therefore

What do you do when you've done all you can?  Seems like it's never enough. And what do you say when your friends turn away, you're all alone?  What do you give when you've given your all and you feel like you can't make it through?  Donnie McClurkin said, "You just stand!"  Anyone who knows me well knows that this is one of my favorite songs.  But I have to admit that when things have gotten really rough in my life I haven't done a real good job of standing.  In fact, I have downright failed in this department sometimes.  My question to God is always, 'Just how long do I have to stand?'  Ephesians 6:14a  tells us to Stand therefore having fastenened on the belt of truth... Code for 'Get ready Ramona, turbulence ahead. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.  Back in New Testament times the soldiers wore a tunic of lookse-fitting cloth that was a hindrance and danger when doing battle.  So they had to wear a belt to tighten up the loosely hanging materia.  I liken this to my tongue.  Sometimes it is a loose cannon.  When chaos is happening all around me or I'm being mistreated the one thing that I use often as a weapon is my words.  Now mind you, there is nothing wrong with that if I am saying the right things.  Most times I'm not.  I'm mad, hurt and angry.  You know this means that I want to hurt you as well.  That is why I believe that the Bible tells us to stand with the belt of truth fastened around our waist.  What is this belt of truth?  Well it is the Word of God.  Self discipline in your devotion is the way you prepare for battle.  Know the Word!  Think about it.  When someone is belittling you and demeaning you what would be their response if you said back to them... I am the head and not the tail. I will always be on top and not the bottom taken from Deut. 28:13.  What about when your enemy comes against you with lies and false allegations you stood firm on His promise that 'The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace' taken from Exodus 14:14.  Your marriage is on it's last leg, all you do is argue.  You think the answer is to get out but the verse keeps running through in your mind....Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  I Corinthians 13:7  The doctor has done all that He can do.  He has told you to call in all the family so they can say goodbye.  But you just continue to Stand in prayer.  You continue to STAND on His Word.  Scriptures that say...Is there anything too hard for God (Gen. 18:14),  With God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26), But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)

The Bible is full of truth.  It is full of promises that we can STAND on during our time of discouragement, discontment, depression.  It is full of promises we can STAND on when we are frustrated, mad, angry at the situation we are in.  I had to learn not to let my tongue breed destruction.  With my tongue I need to remember to speak blessings and not curses, even to those who treat me wrong.  I am going through a phase now with my children where they are using their words to hurt one another.  I hear myself telling them often, "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."  I also have them memorizing scripture just as my mother and father did me because it has helped me so much in my adult life. Situations and circumstances may not always be the best but when you know what God has to say and His Word has to say about your situation then you can continue STANDING just a little while longer.  You can continue to tell yourself that 'All things will work together for my good.' (Romans 8:28)  Though outwardly we are wasting away, inwardly we are being renewed day by day, for our light and momentary afflictions are achieving for us a greater glory that far outweighs them all.  (II Corinthians 4:16-17)  Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of your faith. 



Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I praise Your name today because You are awesome. You are great! You keep on doing great things for me and I just love to worship You. I am thanking you right now because no matter what my situation looks like right now I still have joy. I know that I can stand firm on Your Word. It has become the very lamp that lights my path. Help me to control my tongue that I may walk in obedience and receive all that You have planned for my life. In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment