Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Peace of God

"I am free. Praise the Lord I'm free!  No longer bound. No more chains holding me.  My soul is resting. It's such a blessing.  Praise the Lord, Hallelujah I'm free! The lyrics of this song have great sentimental value for me.  It is the song that was sang at my grandmother's funeral by my aunt. Because of my grandmother's long term illness, this song was very appropriate because she was indeed FREE! 

It is ironic that during a twenty-five minute drive home today I heard four different songs all with the word FREE in the title.  These songs gave me a twenty-five minute praise and thanksgiving celebration in my car when I stopped and thought about what those words meant to me at this point and time in my life.  Without sharing too many details, I will simply say that 'today I find myself at a place of peace'.  I no longer have those lingering periods of doubt that cause my emotions to become so out of whack that I sink into a depressed state of mind.  I now have the weapons necessary to fight against those attacks from satan.  I know how to pick up my Bible and let the Lord lead me to a verse that immediately calms my anxiety.  I know how to call upon some very dear friends of mine and ask them to stand in agreement with me in prayer.  For the scripture says, 'Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven'---Matthew 18:19.  The Word also tells me 'not to be anxious about anything, but in everything in prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus'---Philippians 4:6-7.  I recognize the value in always carrying my sword.  It just isn't acceptable anymore for me to wallow in self-pity and feel sorry for myself and the situation that I am in.

Let me share with you what I have noticed in my own life.  My relationship with God is the most valuable relationship I have.  Without it none of my other relationships work.  Over the years as I spent more time in communion with Him, the chains began to fall of.  That old sinful nature didn't have as much control over me as it used to.  I learned to accept the person God made me to be.  I learned to love myself and by loving myself no longer allowed others to treat me any kind of way.  I learned to love others with the love of God.  A love that includes forgiveness so that I will be forgiven.  Although there are many other things I have learned, these were some of the most important things I learned that helped to bring about a peace in my life that no one can take away.  I don't know what place you are in your life right now but I will tell you that God wants for you to be at a place of peace.  All the stress and anxiety you are experiencing is not of God.  Turn it over to Jesus and let Him work it out.  'Oh what peace we often forfeit.  Oh what needless pains we bear.  All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer'.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

First I must say thank you.  Thank you Lord that I am not what I used to be.  Thank you for bringing me this far.  Lord I recognize that I need You.  I can't make it without You.  You, O Lord, are the source of my strength and the strength of my life.  I will always praise Your Name.  Today I am giving You all these old burdens that have been weighing me down.  I am placing the situation in Your capable hands.  I want to be free!  Thank you Lord for hearing my prayer.  Give me patience to wait for an answer from You and when I become tired  let me look to Your Word for inspiration and hope to run on and see what the end is going to be.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 





1 comment:

  1. Can we find a friend so faithful? Who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

    ReplyDelete