Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, November 26, 2010

Be Careful What You Pray For

As long as I can remember I have been fortunate to be surrounded by strong women of faith.  I remember being younger and praying that I could have faith like that.  I didn't realize what came along with that prayer.  No one ever told me to be careful what you pray for.  Now that I think back I realize that I only saw their lives from the outside looking in.  I heard their prayers in prayer meeting and Bible study.  I remember being able to go to them and asking them to pray for me, knowing that they would be able to get a prayer through.  I remember sitting with them and listening to their individual stories and how God delivered them.  It made me want to know the God they served on the same level and if possible, have an even deeper relationship with Him. 

I often hear people say that they want to increase their faith.  I wonder if they really know what they are asking.  I know I didn't. Little did I realize that meant that I was going to have to go through some things to get to the place He wanted me to be.  There are no clear paths to victory.  Our hope is not in how fast we get to the Promised Land.  Our hope is that God is with us while we travel.  This journey of trust has been a good one.  Because my faith has increased along the way, I am ready to run on and see what the end is going to be.  If I had not been through anything then I don't know if I would be able to say that.  I thank God for my journey.  What about you? 

We have got to learn, as Christians how to praise God in the midst of our circumstances.  We have to learn to have a heart for prayer.  Most importantly we have got to learn to believe God for what we ask for.  Have you ever prayed a prayer and then only half believed that it would happen.  I have.  I didn't stand firm on the promise written in the Word in Psalms 34:17-19,  'The Lord hears the good man when he calls to Him for help, and saves him out of all his troubles. The Lord is close to those whose heart is breaking; He rescues those who are humbly sorry for their sins. The good man does not escape all troubles - he has them, too. But the Lord helps him in each and every one'.  And then it goes on to say that 'I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid---John 14:27.  Had I remembered the prayer I had prayed at such a young age I would have realized that all these things were just a part of God's plan for my life and an answer to my prayer.  I might have thought back then that the road to faith was an easy one but I have learned that it is actually a journey and one that can be enjoyed.  You just have to keep the faith.  Don't be afraid to enjoy the journey!  And always remember to be careful what you pray for if it is in God's will it will come to pass. 



Most Gracious Heavenly Father, 

At this particular time in my life I see clearly the hand You have had on my life, leading, guiding me and directing me into all things.  I recognize that even in the most trying times of my life You were there.  There have been times I may have strayed away from Your guidance in an attempt to get to a place of peace more quickly, not standing on your Word.  Please forgive me Lord for I know that true peace only comes from You.  Help me to understand that there is not a prayer that I pray that You don't here and not only do You hear Lord, you answer.  Thank you for that.  Thank you for the  confidence I have in knowing that all things will work out for my good.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment