Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Give An Account

College is a very interesting place.  It is usually that place where you first experience freedom away from your parents.  No more rules.  No more curfews.  You finally get to do your own thing.  One thing I have observed is the hunger they have to belong.  Most of the students I talk to were raised in the church.  But the sad part about it is that when they are approached with alternative religions or even questioned about what they believe in, their mind is easily swayed.  Now you might expect this from a college student but what about someone who has been in the church for twenty years and when asked the basis of their Christianity, they can't even explain their foundation.  The Bible tells us in I Peter 3:15, 'but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect'. 

These are trying times we are living in.  There are churches open in every kind of name under the sun.  Turn on your television and there are motivational speakers who have the title Minister telling you things to make you feel good but not arming you with what you need when trials and tribulations come.  Not only that but they are raising up a generation with a 'what can I get from God' mentality.  I do believe that the blessings that God has promised us should be preached.  My only problem with that is that I believe the whole Bible should be taught.  I would love to only hear about the good things God has in store for me but I also want to hear the other side of that two-edged sword.  The part that is 'piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart'---Hebrews 4:12.  So what do we do about this?  How do we make sure we are prepared to defend our Christianity?  It is not good enough to say "that's what mama or daddy told me" or "That's what the preacher said in church on Sunday".

'Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth'---II Timothy 2:15.  Each of us must spend personal time in the Word allowing God to show us things that pertain to our lives.  We must study so that when we are approached by people that ask us, "How do you know that you are saved? Why do you go to church every Sunday?  Why do you give the church ten percent of the money you work so hard to earn?  Who is God?  Why Jesus?", you will be able to answer with confidence, standing firm in your faith.  You will not be swayed by any doctrine.  The more you read the Bible, the more you see the consistency of Christ.  It becomes your first source in times of crisis.  You can't go through life depending on others to tell you what you believe.  You have got to know it for yourself. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I confess that I need to spend more time in Your Word.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am saved but I also know that there are times that I am a lazy Christian, wanting always to be spoon-fed the Word, instead of spending personal time in communion with You.  Thank you for the gift of Your Word and for the gift of Your Son.  Give me boldness in speech when asked to give an account for the hope that is within me at all times.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment