Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Sinner Saved By Grace

How dare I take credit for the ways God has used me to be a blessing to others?  How dare I withhold forgiveness from those who have mistreated me after all the times I have mistreated God?  Who am I to think that I am better than anyone?  How dare I take for granted all the blessings that are staring me in my face daily just because things are a little tough right now and new blessings aren't just busting down my door? Here I am waiting for my change to come, waiting for God to change someone else, waiting for my new job, waiting for God to heal my loved one, standing in need of a blessing.  And there is nothing wrong with that but in the midst of you waiting for your change to come or praying for God to turn some situation around for the better, how are you treating those around you? 

It is so easy to get caught up in the stresses of life.  There are times when those stresses consume my thoughts and cause me not to behave as a child of God should.  I am frustrated.  I have been praying about this thing for a long time and God doesn't seem to be moving.  Everyone around me seems to be a contributing factor to my situation.  In other words, 'It's everybody's fault and none of mine'.  I forget one simple fact that should be very important to me as a Christian.  That fact is that 'I am just a sinner saved by grace'.  Driving in my car a song came on by Bebe Winans with these words exactly and it made me think about where would I be if it weren't for the Lord and His grace.  Shame on me for thinking that I am better than anyone or just because I have experienced some things that have given me a better appreciation for who God is that I sit in judgment of anyone else who is still in the process of becoming.  Truth of the matter is, I have not arrived yet.  Every day I am still traveling along my journey of trust.  The way still gets dark and I struggle with those things I cannot explain.  It made me think of a scripture that was taught to me early in my Christian walk.  'For by grace are ye saved, through faith, and not of yourself, it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast'. ---Ephesians 2:8-9  There is nothing special about me, but for the God in me. He is the source of my existence. Even the very faith that I possess that let's me know that no matter how dark the night, a brighter day is coming, is a gift from God.   If I have accomplished anything, it is because of Him.  As a Christian I must always remember that 'it is in Him that I live and move and have my very being' ---Acts 17:28  Nothing that I do is possible without God. Anytime He allows me to experience His goodness or gives me a glimpse of His glory it is so I can be a witness to others.  Wherever I go I should be sharing the gospel.  It should be apparent in my walk. It should show up in the way I talk.  When you take a moment and think about where you would be if it had not been for the Lord  on your side, you have a reason to shout.  It should motivate you to reach down and help someone else through what they may be going through.  Stop sitting around feeling sorry for yourself and count your blessings.  Thank God for the things He has already done.  Know in your heart that if He never does anything else for you, He has already done enough. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

My maker.  The Creator of all things.  Thou who knows everything about me, even my innermost thoughts and still loves me anyway.  Please forgive me for my self-righteous attitude.  Forgive me Lord for any time I have looked down on someone else because of their mistakes and did not take the time to reach back and help my brother or my sister.  The times when I did not live a life that was pleasing in Your sight.  Help me to always remember from whence I came and that no matter what, all my blessings come from You.  For without You I can do nothing but with You I can do anything.  Create in me a clean heart O God, one that loves as You love and forgives as You forgive.  Let Your light shine through me at all times so that others may see You in me and want to know You a little bit better.  Thank You for answering my prayer and granting my requests. Not my will but thine be done.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment