Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, November 19, 2010

Living Victoriously

I read something today by Beth Moore which said, "Our Promised Lands are characterized by the presence of victory, not the absence of opposition."  Such a simple statement , yet so profound.  As Christians, there are times when we make the mistake of thinking that 'living a victoriously life means a life where we don't have to struggle.  Quite the contrary!  Just look at the definition of victory.  It means 'a successful ending of a struggle' or the definition I liked best was 'achievement of mastery in a struggle'.  This falls right in line with the fact that our struggles are to serve a purpose.  This is a very important point.  Too often we as Christians become discouraged through our struggles.  Sometimes we get to a point in our lives where things are going okay and we become complacent.  We are no longer looking for God to work in our lives so we sit back and relax.  Now I am not telling you that you shouldn't relax.  What I am here to remind you of is that we are always involved in spiritual warfare and this learning process, which includes struggles,  is God moving us from one level to the next until the day of Christ's return. 

Let's take a trip through the Bible.  There are many scriptures that point to our victory in this life and each one prefaced with struggle and inclusive of God Almighty.  We simply cannot leave Him out.  He must also be at the forefront of our lives.  We can do nothing without Him. 

For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory." ---Deuteronomy 20:4

I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. ---Psalms 44:6-8

I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.---Luke 10:19


Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? ....No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.---Romans 8:35,37

The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.---II Timothy 4:18

I could go on and on but by now I have made my point.  God has not promised you sunny days always but he has promised you shelter from the rain.  He has not promised you a life without valleys but He did promise to be with you as you walk through that valley.  (So keep moving.)  And above all else, have faith in the God you serve.  He has already defeated Satan.  And it is through our obedience and trusting Him to guide us that we too can live life victoriously.  Don't be surprised at the presence of opposition in your life, count it as a blessing because it means that God is not through with you.  He still has a few skills He needs for you to master so you can be His witness to the uttermost parts of the earth.  To God be the glory!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I come to You today asking for thicker skin. I don't want to be so easily discouraged when trials come.  I want to be able to live my life in a way that is pleasing in your sight.  A life that continues to hold fast to the hope that I have in serving a risen Saviour.  Help me to stop my whining when things don't go my way and I am being pulled and prodded and stretched in order to make room for all that You have in store for me.  To You be the glory now and forever more.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ramona:

    God is going to gave me some Thicker Skin!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete