Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Emmanuel - God With Us

I love how God works.  I don't know why it still amazes me that I can turn to a familiar passage of scripture and the Holy Spirit reveals to me something new.  Today I was reading in Matthew, Chapter 8.  You know the story the one where Jesus calms the storm.  But today it was not the calming of the storm that God wanted me to see, it was something totally different.  Walk with me through the words of the 23rd verse.  'And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him.'  Now you may not see the big deal in this, but it made me think about how many times when a storm begins to rage in my life I cry out to the Lord as if He is far away instead of realizing that He had actually gone before me. In fact, the storm was a part of the very path God had led me on.  Simply by following the Lord,  I encounter a storm.  Not because I am going in the opposite direction but because I am allowing Him to order my very steps and lead me wherever He wants me to go.  That's good news to me.  It further strengthens my belief that because I have God I am never alone.  So why do we panic?

We panic because of our limited human perspective.  We do not rely enough on God's divine interpretation of our circumstance.  Yes, we say all the right things.  "It's going to be okay.  God is going to work it out."  We even quote scriptures.  'And we know that all things work together for the good of them who love the Lord and are the called according to his purpose'---Rom. 8:28.  But do we believe them in our soul?  And before you answer, remember that God knows your most innermost thoughts.  Our journey of trust is about finding out who God really is and serving Him in spirit and in truth, with out whole hearts.  Not giving in to the spirit of doubt that tries its best to creep in.  Its about always knowing that God is with us.  He is Emmanuel!  It's about realizing with certainty that nothing that goes on in your life surprises God.  He is simply giving you another opportunity to praise Him in the midst of your storm. It's okay to ask the Lord to help you when you are going through a rough patch.  He so designed it that when we are at our weakest moment, He increases strength.  All we must do is trust Him.   

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thou who made me and knows all about me.  Lord I come to You today thanking you for your presence in my life.  I thank you because I know that I don't have to worry when the storms of life begin to rage in my life because in You I find safety.  I shall not be afraid of the terrors by night nor the arrows that flieth by day. I can dwell in my secret place with you and there I shall find peace that surpasseth all understanding.  I know that no matter what it looks like You have the final say.  Thank you Lord for being my rock.  In Jesus'  Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment