Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, December 10, 2010

An Unwanted Gift

With Christmas fast approaching I was sitting and thinking how every year I get something that I don't like or have no use for.  You know, like grandma's sweaters.  I don't know what it is about grandmother's who think that a Christmas present should include a not-so-cute sweater, socks or even underwear.  What child wakes up on Christmas morning looking for these gifts?  I know I didn't.  But every year she never deterred from these gifts.  Maybe grandma knew something that I didn't care to think about as a child.  She knew that it was going to be a cold winter and that sweater was going to come in handy.  She knew that above all else there were certain essentials I would need after Christmas had come and gone. 

This story reminds me of God.  Read James 1:2, 'Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds'.  Joy???  Really! There is nothing good that can come out of this situation.  God allows trials to come into our lives to build certain characteristics up in us that are essential for our survival.  Yet , just like I did on Christmas morning when opening up that sweater, we moan and we grown wishing for something else.  A bike.  A barbie doll.  A dollhouse.  All the things that once I got tired of them I would place in the closet or my dad would put up in the attic and my hand would be out to receive the next big thing.  God could do us like that.  And sometimes I think that He does.  But ultimately, God wants to develop some stick-to-it-tiveness in us, where we are not knocked down at the first sight of trouble.  We have all heard time and time again that trials come to make us stronger.  They make us better.  That grow us up.  But do you believe it? 

Read further down in the 1st chapter of James.  'for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness'. (v.3)  What does this mean?  Let the wind blow and the lightening flash.  Take away my safety net and I am still going to trust in God.  My foundation is solid.  My faith is unchanging, immovable.  Trials put God to the test and let me tell you what I know...He has always been proving faithful.  His Word is true.  Whatever He has said, it will come to pass.  Tried in the fire, my brother and my sister, you are still going to come forth as pure gold. 

James goes on to say, 'And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing'. (verse 4)  I read something one day that said,  "We should not pray so much for the removal of affliction, as for wisdom to make a right use of it."  Stop fighting so hard to get out or your trials.  God is trying to teach you something.  Yes we could probably have a trial or two and even learn a valuable lesson from it, but is it enough to handle what is coming up down the road.  Only God knows.  He doesn't desire to send us into battle without the weapons necessary to fight against the wiles of the devil.  He wants us to be prepared.  He wants us to stand firm against Satan, confident that 'though he slay me, yet will I trust Him'  In other words, 'Satan, bring it on.  Trials can give you wisdom.  Wisdom for yourself and for that young sister or brother coming up behind you. 

We have all heard the saying that it is easier to put your best self forward when all is perfect in the world.  But let adversity come and the real person comes out.  When we accept our trials and continue to praise God in the midst of our circumstances then we are a stronger witness for God.  Our trials have, in fact, cut away all the junk and brought out the gem.  It may have started out as an unwanted Christmas gift but when the cold wins begin to blow , the unwanted gift is the first thing we reach for.  You see, that trial made you go deeper in the Word.  It taught you how to love better.  How to forgive more.  It developed perseverance.  You can now bear difficulties without complaint.  When you think about complaining about the unwanted gift of adversity, stop for a moment and think of Jesus.  He was the world's unwanted gift.  He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrow acquainted with grief.  Yet in spite of all that, He had a purpose and that was to be a sacrificial lamb for my sins and yours.  He could have complained to His Father, called ten thousand angels, but He didn't.  He loved us just that much.  I don't know what is going on in your life right now but accept it and praise God through it.  It is not meant to tear you down but build you up so that you are perfect and complete, not lacking anything. 


Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you first and foremost for the gift of Your Son.  I am so grateful that You love me.  I count every test and trial as a blessing.  I  know that you are chipping away at all my little idiosyncrasies and imperfections to shape me into the person You need me to be to be used for Your glory.  Help me to be open to change.  I thank You Lord for this process.  I want to be used in whatever way You see fit.  I will be so careful to always give your name the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment