Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, December 3, 2010

Purpose of the Storm

'Trials dark on every hand and we cannot understand.  All the ways that God will lead us to that blessed promised land.  But he'll guide us with his eyes and we'll follow till we die.  We will understand it better bye and bye'.

How many times have you sat and pondered the purpose of your storm?  It is not uncommon to sit and ask God why?  I have heard many different opinions regarding asking God why, most of them saying that it is wrong to ask God why.  I don't necessarily agree with this.  Storms are learning opportunities for us and teaching opportunities for God.  I am not saying that we ask God why in an attempt to try and rid ourselves of the experience but rather to learn what God is trying to teach you at that moment in your life.  Sometimes the storm we are trying to run away from provides that necessary distraction from the norm to draw us closer to God.  It is like David said in the 119th Chapter of Psalms.  ' Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word...It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.'. (verse 67,71)

When I look back over my life I can't help but to see the purpose of each and every storm.  Before I was afflicted I carried a heavy load, one that really didn't include a true relationship with the Savior.  It was very easy for me to 'lay my Christianity' down when it suited me.  I have said once before that there were times when I didn't even go to church.  I was very stubborn, even prideful at times.  I was not very understanding of those who committed certain sins, but I was very tolerable of the sins I was committing.  I was not living the life God designed for me. I was just getting by the best way I could.  My relationships with my family and friends was more important that my relationship with God.  So God allowed me to experience varying degrees of storm.  I remember a period of just rain. It rained for what seemed like months.  But it was during that time God had to wash away some things.  Pride. Stubbornness.  Unforgiveness.  Being judgmental.  There were times when a tornado blew in, sending my life in a whirlwind.  Uprooting the very stability  I had come to know.  The lesson to be learned---total dependence on Him.  God has a way of using heartache, bereavement, betrayal of close friends, loss of job, etc. to develop a heart like His and a pattern of prayer.  Although we may not always understand or see the purpose while going through the storm, we can rest assure that there is a purpose and God has not taken His hand off.  It is through our trials on this journey of trust that we gain a deeper intimacy with God,  a stronger faith and a reflection that looks more like God.  Let's face it, God did not save you for you to sit idle on the sidelines.  He saved you to use you.  I read something once that I want to share with you today. The deeper the valley, the darker the storm and the more intense the pain, the greater the preparation of your heart to be a blessing to other people. It is through your pain that you become sensitive to the needs of those around you.  It is through your brokenness that you become a blessing.  Don't be frightened by the storm.  Allow the Lord to accomplish His purpose in your current situation.  God is the only one who can turn total destruction into utter delight. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

You said in Your Word, 'be anxious for nothing but in everything in prayer with thanksgiving present your request to God'.  I come to You today confessing that I don't always see where my life is headed and I know there are times that I am pulling in the opposite direction, afraid to see where this journey is going to take me. But no more.  I am ready to see where this road is going to take me.  I know that because you are in control I need not worry.  I just want to be used by you, Lord, so that you can get the glory out of my life.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment