Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, December 27, 2010

Faith over Fear

Some days it is hard to see past the circumstances that are staring me right in my face.  It doesn't matter that I am saved or how much faith I have.  I am looking at what I can see and it has me kind of down right now.  Christmas Day has passed and I am getting ready to head into a new year.  I have a new goal ahead of me - getting my Master's Degree and I have no doubt that I can do it.  But there are other things that have my mind preoccupied, like where am I going to work now that one of my long-term goals has been completed.  I have been so blessed with a supporting family throughout this entire process.  But it has always been hard for me to receive.  I always feel like I need to be doing something to help out.  So I 'fix my eyes on what is unseen because what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal'.  That's right Ramona...go to the Word.  Point number one:  Stop looking at your circumstances!

When I first starting writing back in April I felt a strong desire to get to know the Savior I accepted twenty-four years ago better.  This year has definitely been one learning experience after another.  God has shown me what I am made of.  He has also shown me some not so pretty parts that had to be removed.  As I sit here this evening and the devil tries to bombard my mind with thoughts of worry and doubt I am reminded of a verse in Isaiah.  It says 'When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you'. (Isaiah 43:2)  This message is a great reminder that God is the same yesterday, today and forevermore.  There is just a peace that comes with knowing that no matter what you may be going through God is with you.  God being with you is better than the whole world against you.  I have experienced times when I was surrounded by a plethora of people and then there was a time when I was all alone.  During the time when I was surrounded I was too distracted and couldn't hear the voice of the Lord. Too many other voices chattering in my ear.  It wasn't until I was by myself that I heard His voice loud and clear. The most important lesson I learned in all this was the truth of His promise.  'Never will I leave you nor forsake you'.  (Hebrews 13:5)  The hand of God was always on my life.  He didn't turn His back on me even though there were times I acted as though I didn't even need Him. 

This verse has a way of making your change your thinking pattern.  Faced with your own Red Sea, God can part the waters.  And even though your enemy behind you may be being swallowed up as long as you are looking forward you will cross over on dry ground.  You can have confidence in knowing that when you are in the midst of the fire, God tempers the fire and you will not be consumed. If that doesn't give you something to shout about I don't know what will. 'O ye of little faith'.  It's time to face your fear head on with faith.  Not faith in the White House, your job, your spouse, your parents, or the economy but faith in God

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for this time of uncertainty.  It is during these times that I realize my limitations and recognize my total dependence on You.  I thank You because I know that no matter how dark the night or how hot the fire You are with me.  I am looking forward to the lesson learned so that I can be a witness to those around me and You will be glorified.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment