Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Change of Heart

Listening to the sermon today at church the preacher said something that stuck out significantly in my mind.  He made a comment about your Outside versus your Inside.  This was not the main point of his sermon but it was exactly what I needed to hear at that very moment.  It brought about a moment of reflection.  We are often more concerned with our outside and not our inside.  It is our inside that reflects our Lord and Savior. It is the light of Jesus Christ that shines brightly from the inside out and helps us to be witnesses to others as we go about our everyday lives.  Yet we spend more time and place great importance on our outside appearance.  But if your heart isn't right that ugly that you are trying so hard to cover up will eventually come out.  Now, I am not calling anyone ugly, but until God enters your heart and performs a heart transplant, removing all those negative feelings, thoughts and emotions and replaces them with thoughts that are pure, lovely and of good report, the ugly will continue to come to the surface.  That is why we have to be made over.  We must submit to the will of God and allow Him to transform our lives in to vessels to be used for His glory.  The thing that we must understand about this process is that it is not a pretty process. Sin is our natural nature.  That is why we must be born again.

I spent years worrying more about what other people thought than being true to myself and the person God had designed me to me.  I allowed others to project behaviors that were not Christ-like all in the name of belonging.  I was so miserable during this time.  Everybody had expectations of who they thought I should be.  What a mistake!  One thing I learned from that experience is that the only person's opinion that mattered was God's. Furthermore, if  I am living according to the Word then I don't have anything to be worried about.  I will be a better person and God will be glorified.  I developed a new way of thinking.  I started saying a new prayer.  'My earnest expectation and hope is that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.  Philippians 1:20  There are times when being obedient to Christ may appear to have a downside.  It may look as though the costs outweigh the rewards.  That is never the case when God is at the center of your decision.  When He is guiding your footsteps.  As this year draws to a close, it's time for self-evaluation.  Don't spend time comparing your life to anyone around you.  Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.  Make a commitment to spend more time in communion with Him.  Read the Word more.  Hide it in your heart.  For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.  If something needs to changed, only God can make that happen.  Stop trying so hard to hide your insecurities and faults.  Allow God to expose you so that you can be changed for the better.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Lord I need you.  Create in me a clean heart.  Renew my spirit.  I need less of me and more of You. Forgive me for the sin I have committed in word, thought or deed.  Let my actions be a reflection of the love you have shown me and will continue to show me in spite of me.  Help me to live a life that is pleasing in Your sight.  Use me for thy service.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment