Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Prayer for Patience

Think about a prayer almost every Christian has prayed and soon after regretted.  The one that comes to mind is ' a prayer for patience'.  You know that desire we have to be able to bear and endure pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.  Whatever in the world would possess anyone to pray that prayer I do not know.  It is almost like sending up a request to God to bring on the test...the trial...the storm.  When I think about patience I think about being stuck in traffic.  No one hates to be stuck in traffic more than me, especially when I cannot see a reason for the bottleneck.  Like today when I was driving home, I was stuck behind a line of four slow drivers.  So I kept my eye out for the first opportunity to get over so that I could pass them.  Eventually that time came and I got over, not realizing that the driver in the other land had no particular place to be as well.  Translation...she was driving slow too.  I saw yet another opportunity and got back over thinking my time had finally come and I could get to the highway.  Hahaha...was I mistaken.  I got over only to come to a complete stop because one of the cars ahead of me needed to turn.  Me and my impatience.  Had I just stayed in my lane and went with the flow of traffic I could have made it to the highway in no time at all. 

Same thing in my spiritual life.  I have a true desire for growth.  To be more like God.  I want to be more patient in tribulation but the first chance I get  I decide to change lanes. Things are progressing way too slow.   No longer following God's direction, I decide that I can plot my own course.  I don't have the time to wait.  I need to get where I am going and NOW!  Patience is  a virtue.  It is one of the fruits of the spirit (Gal. 5:22).  Patience reveals our faith in God's timing, omnipotence and love.  Either we believe that He knows what is best for us or we don't.  The Bible tells us in James 1:4,  'Let your patience show itself perfectly in what you do. Then you will be perfect and complete and will have everything you need'. What does this say to me about patience?  That I must still be obedient to the Word of God, even at my highest moments of frustration.  When every one around me seems to be a contributing factor to everything bad that is going on in my life.  I don't know about you but when this happens to me my reaction is usually to discontinue to walk in love.  Someone else is going to have to suffer from my level of frustration.  Now maybe that is just me that feels this way.  But if not let me share with you how I deal with this so that my patience shows itself in everything I do. I think about how patient God is with me.  So much so that the scripture says that 'His compassion fail not, they are new every morning.  Great is thy faithfulness'.  (Lam 3:22-23)  What if He decided to say, "Ramona, I have given you enough chances."  I recite one of my favorite verses that says, 'But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint..;Isaiah 40:31.  What does that tell me?  That patience gives me something.  I hear you asking me what... SUSTAINABILITY.  When those who are running this race around me in their journey of trust are panting on the side of the road or who have quit running altogether, I will instead be able to continue my race.  My hope in God has taught me to pace myself.  Take much need spiritual food breaks by reading the Word and praying  for guidance.  This journey is about so much more than seeing how fast we can cross the finish line.  So leave your life in the hands of the Lord.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father, 

Thank you for your love, for your love is patient.  It is longsuffering.  It has the ability to see past my faults to my needs.  I confess that many times I get out of my lane in an attempt to speed up this perfecting process.  I realize now that I need to leave that in your hands.  The One who sits high and looks low.  The One who knew my ending even before I was born.  I want to be more patient with those whose lives I come in contact with.  I want them to see God in me, not only in the way I talk but in the way I walk.  When I am tempted to react with impatience help me to remember how patient you are with me.  I will continue to give you all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment