Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, December 30, 2010

He Has His Hands On You

At any moment of the day you can find a reason to complain.  "It's cold. There is nothing in this house to eat. This bill is due and I don't have the money to pay it.  I wish my husband would learn to put the toilet seat down.  I hate my job."  Maybe I drove by your house with these words and maybe I didn't.  Feel free to take a minute and add in any complaints I may have left out.  Now that you have that all out of your system, I want to refocus your attention. I believe that part of the reason we complain so much is that we aren't fully aware of who God is and what He has really done for us. Of course we remember it when we are receiving the blessing but how soon we forget.  Just as soon as the slightest bit of misfortune comes are way or we are faced with what seems an unbearable hardship we get selective memory.   We walk around saying things like, 'God has forgotten about me'.  God becomes only as good as our last blessing.  Forget that He woke you up this morning with a reasonable portion of health and strength.  Our current situation, however, has nothing to do with whether or not we should give Him the praise He so rightfully deserves.  We praise God simply for who He is!

But let's talk for a minute about this crazy idea that God has somehow forgotten you.  Isaiah 44:21 says, 'Thou art My servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of Me'. I hate to say it but if God forgot about us for just one second, our lives would be in ruin.  The blessings that you so easily take for granted would be gone like that.  You would have a chance to see what life is like for those who haven't accepted Him as their personal Lord and Savior.  You do realize that there are benefits that come along with being a child of God.  We know what our Lord has promised us: guidance, peace, a shelter from the storm, a way out of no way, to meet our every need, healing for every hurt.  But do you reallly believe it?  When the devil tries to sneak into your thoughts with that lie that God has left you alone to suffer, do you come back at him with the Word?  I know that you may be in a tight place, lonely and depressed, discouraged and afraid.  Remember what it says in Isaiah 49:15-16.   "Don't they know I have graven them upon the palms of My hands... I could no more forget them in their hour of need than a mother could forget her suckling child... and even though a mother could forget her child, I cannot forget a single child of mine."  We are bound together with God not because of anything we have done but because of the love He has for us.  It's an unconditional love.  One that is coupled with grace and mercy.  Don't allow your fears to shut out the glimpse of His glory that we receive every day.  We treat God the way my children treat me at times.  There are certain things that they have come to expect.  They know that momma's going to wash the clothes.  They know that they are going to have something to eat. The 'thank you' only comes if they get something extra special.  On days when I'm feeling underappreciated I am so tempted not to do any of those things but I can't.  I love them too much.  That's how God is with us.  I know that there are times when we get afraid. We doubt.  We panic.  Just know that God has not forgotten you.  He has His hands on you.  Nothing happens that He is not aware of.  Be encouraged and know that His word will not return void.  That which He has promised will come to pass. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I praise You today for who You are.  You are the creator of all things.  The Alpha and Omega.  Jehovah Jirah. Jehovah Nissi.  I confess that I have been thinking some crazy thoughts lately.  I haven't felt Your presence.  I thank You for Your promise that You are with me always even until the end of the world.  Thank you for the hope that I have in You.  Help me to rely more on Your Word during difficult times for I know that have not forgotten me.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I  pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment