Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, December 20, 2010

Keep Climbing

Well, son, I'll tell you:

Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair...Langston Hughes

 I love this poem.  I remember the first time I heard it. I didn't quite know what it meant.  But now as I close one chapter of my life and move on to the next one, I must ask a question in response to the line in the poem that says, 'Life for me ain't been no crystal stair'.  My question is:  Whose life has been a crystal stair?  Each one of us is different.  Not one of us is alike.  God knows each one of us intimately and that is why we must all go through our share of trials and tribulations. This is done so that we may be made the better.  The difference between us and the non-believer is that we should never stop climbing.  We do not give up.  It doesn't matter what things look at on the outside, we have to keep the faith.  I know at times everything around us looks dark, but this is only so God's light can shine and we can recognize that only God has delivered us.  Sometimes we have to be placed between a Red Sea and Pharaoh's army.  Stuck...smack dab in the middle with no where to look but up.  The hope that we have is that when we do look up God is faithful and is ready, willing and able too handle our situation.  Only believe. 

I believe on this journey of trust that God does have a plan for each and every one of us.  We only have to open our hearts to receive direction.  Sometimes, like me, we try to stray away from our calling but God always has a way of working us right back to where He wants us to be.  During that time there may be tacks made up of suffering and splinters made up of heartache.  Sometimes our phone stops ringing and we feel all alone.  But that is prime time for God to operate.  To transform us into the very likeness of Him.  Life for you may not have been a crystal stair but always remember that you serve a God that is able to turn the worse thing you go through around for your good.  You just have to keep trusting Him. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Lord, I thank you.  Though outwardly I may be wasting away, inwardly I am being renewed day by day.  For my light and momentary afflictions are achieving the purpose you designed.  Lord help me to keep my eyes fixed on you, no matter what I am going through.  I know that it is in You that I find peace and joy.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment