Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Be Quiet and Listen

It is always good to be reminded about some of the very basic things in life.  This weeks reminder hit me like a big truck.  There I was proud of myself and my prayer life.  I had recently made a discovery that I was going through most of my day before even  talking to God.  As a solution I started praying before my feet even touched the floor every morning.  I also started making a more conscious effort to pray throughout my day about everything.  The funny thing is that although I was praying more, I was only participating in one half of my communion with God.  I was speaking without listening.  I spent all of my time making requests and no time listening for God's answer.  The result is that I was asking for the same thing over and over when God had already sent the answer.  I was behaving like my children.  It never fails that one of them will ask me something that I have already answered.  I used to think that they kept asking hoping that I would change my mind.  But I soon figured out that they kept asking because they weren't listening.

John 10:27 says, 'My sheep listen to my voice...'  I am usually good about doing most things required of me by God but for some reason I had a problem with this one.  The main reason is because it's pretty hard to listen when it seems that the Lord is mostly silent.  In most relationships, we are so distracted and busy that it’s often the exception rather than the rule that we listen to one another, much less listen to God.  God's voice is distinctive. In an auditorium full of children at my daughter's school, in the midst of all the hustle and bustle, I was able to hear my youngest daughter's voice.  It did not matter that there were about one hundred and fifty other children there.  That's how it should be with God.  No matter how busy we get, when God speaks we should recognize His  voice and heed His commands.  At first His voice may not be as easily recognized.  That is why we must set aside time in our day to spend with God.  Not just out of habit but because we love Him and enjoy spending time with Him.  When we listen to God we receive from Him answers, assurance, guidance, peace, strength, power, revelation of who He is and what He wants to do.  When God speaks to us, He speaks in many ways.  He speaks through out thoughts.  He speaks to us through the Word.  He speaks to us through others.  He speaks to us through our circumstances.  We just have to slow down enough to listen.  In an ordinary conversation, we speak, then listen for the response of the other person. It's the same with God!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father, 

It's me, _______________.  I recognize that You made me and know me better than I know myself. There is so much going on in my life right now and I just wanted to take a moment to tell You all about it.  I sure would like your help on how to handle these areas of my life.  I'm listening Lord.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment