Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Shades of Gray

Will the real Christians please stand up?!  Those that have been redeemed of the Lord.  When you have been redeemed of the Lord you ought to tell somebody. It should be evident in the way you walk and heard in the words you speak.  There should be a direct correlation between what you say and how you live.  This correlation should be seen no matter what your surroundings.  Each and everyday we are faced with choices. Each day we have the chance to stand out in a crowd.  Do the right thing.  I remember growing up in a time when things were either right or wrong.  There were very few gray areas.  The message that was taught at my house was the same even if I was three blocks away at the neighbors house. People stood up for what was right and preached against what was wrong.  My question today is what has happened to change the way we live our lives. Do we just not know right from wrong anymore?  Instead of living by the Word, we live by the rule of self-benefit.  Instead I will just blend in with the crowd and even conform to the ways of those around me.   When did everything start being about being politically correct?   This happens from the pulpit, on our jobs, to our every day conversations in our home.  People only want to hear about what they can get, so let's not preach about sin only about blessings.  We spend so much time saying things like, 'Yeah I drink every now and then.  No I don't always listen to gospel music.  I just might cuss you out'.  Justifying our every action.  But do we think about the effect we may be having on those around us who may not be as mature in their Christian relationship.  Do those behaviors imitate Christ?  Do we stop to think about when we do this...what are we teaching those coming up after us?  I am not here to judge your behaviors.  I just want to give you something to think about. One thing I do know is that we have what we need to make the right decision.  We have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us and the Word of God with us.  So why don't I allow the Word to do it's work.   After all it is 'quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.'..Hebrews 4:12.

How do we determine what is the right decision?  This is where spiritual discernment comes into play.What is spiritual discernment?  Most people thing that it is some magical force, a special connection to God.  When actually there is no magical power.  Discernment is the ability to recognize good and evil, and it is a spiritual discipline.  Discipline simply brings us closer to God.    It helps us to decide the right from the wrong.  The Holy Spirit is always working in us, nudging us and leading us to make the right decision.  The problem lies in the fact that we choose to ignore his nudging.  We make decisions based on our feelings not on the nudging of the Holy Spirit.

"I feel better knowing that I just told that person off who cut me off on the highway.  I feel better giving that two-faced friend a piece of my mind.  I feel better not forgiving the person who did me wrong.  We are living together to save money, after all we are in a recession.  Why shouldn't I participate in that conversation talking about my sister or my brother?  The things they are saying is the truth."

How do we move from reacting based on our emotions to responding based on the leading of the Holy Spirit.  We must simply 'open our eyes'.  'Pay attention'.  The World of the Lord tells us to 'Be alert' in I Peter 5:8.  It goes on to say that 'Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour'.  And you are the primary target.  The devil is cunning.  He knows how to camouflage deception into some of the most beautiful packages, appealing to the lust of your flesh.  It comes in the form of caramel skin with long black hair or tall, dark and handsome.  It can be disguised in the name of justice.  It can be hidden in the name of advice from your closest friend.  But what does God have to say about it?  What is your spirit telling you?  The further we are away from God and a deep relationship with him, the easier it is for Satan to come in and create those areas of gray.  We say things like, "Why rock the boat?  Everyone is doing it."  But just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean that it is what is good, pleasing and perfect in God's eyes. (Romans 12:2)  Our job is to stand out not to blend in.  Be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Casting down imagination and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ---II Corinthians 10:5. Thinking those thoughts that are honest, pure and lovely and of good report.  The devil does not discriminate and he likes it when we give in to his schemes. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I come to you today needing help detecting the good from the bad in all areas of my life.  I long for better spiritual discernment.   Help me to run away from those things that distract me from hearing the Holy Spirit.  I understand the importance of being a light that shines in the midst of darkness.  I know that sometimes that means that I must stand alone.  I pray also that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened in order that I may know what is good, perfect and pleasing in Your sight.  Help me to make the right decision even in difficult situations.  My desire is to serve You in all things.  I will continue to give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment