Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You Complete Me

Remember the movie Jerry McGuire.  I know most people who think of this movie think of the phrase...'Show me the money!'  The phrase that comes to my mind is...'You complete me.'  I recall so many people, both men and women saying that to their significant other after this movie came out.  I always had a problem with it.  My question was always, "How can two incomplete people complete each other?"  As I look back over my life I recall the times I was looking for someone or something to complete me.  What I learned is that He was there all the time. 

Who am I talking about?  I am talking about Jesus.  Until you truly develop a personal relationship with the Lord you will continue to be incomplete.  I am not talking about a surface relationship. One that only comes out on Sunday morning when you attend church.  But one where He becomes your everything.  My Pastor did a seminar about relationships in which he talked about being single and searching.  You know how we do looking for that person, whether it be a friend or your significant other, to provide you with happiness.  Feeling like you have a void in your life that can only be filled my a man or a woman.  I have been there.  But I learned quickly that when we look to others as the soul source of our happiness we are usually more unhappy than happy because people will let you down.  God can provide for us something much better than happiness.  What is that you ask?  JOY!!!!  Joy is something that even when the world is crashing in all around you, you can still have that confidence that everything is going to be okay because your faith is in God.  This is one of the reasons we are able to stand in the midst of suffering and persecution because God gives us strength to make it through.  Think about Jesus.  Remember what the writer of Hebrews said in Chapter 12...'Who, for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame. (v2b)  You see, Jesus realized that all this was just temporary.  He had developed the relationship with His Father that resulted in strength to complete His task.  It resulted in joy for His journey. 

I remember sitting in my bedroom after going through my storm and being alone again after something that I thought was supposed to be forever.  I sat there and realized that my hands were not entirely clean in the situation.  I had been looking for someone to make me whole.  They had become the one I looked at to make things right.  That was a mistake.  I realized at the time I had lost who I was.  I recognized that God was right there waiting for me to reach out to Him to satisfy the longing that was in my heart.  And after all that, I was able to rejoice in the true joy of my salvation.  This joy that let me know that through it all I could depend on Him for everything.  When I was lonely.  When people mistreated me and left me to suffer all alone.  When my bank account read zero and sometimes negative.  I had to learn to let the Lord make up the extra, so that I could be whole. 

I know that this is sometimes a difficult thing to do. After all,  it's easier to depend on those we can see everyday.  But when you develop that personal relationship with God, I can testify that you can see Him.  Maybe not in the physical sense that we are used to but you can certainly see Him working in your circumstances.  When you find yourself searching for someone to complete you, remember that it is only God who can make you whole. 

Dear Lord,

Thank you for being there for me in everything even when I didn't see it.  Sometimes I get distracted and start looking to those around me to meet the needs I know that only you can supply.  Help me to come to your first and to pull from your strength when I am weak.  I know that your strength is perfected in my weakness.  I am so grateful to have you as my personal Lord and Saviour.  Lord, you and only you complete me.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

5 comments:

  1. Ramona, Ramona, Ramona...to God be the glory! This spoke to my heart and was exactly what I needed at exactly the right moment. Thank you so much for sharing your gift. You are an inspiration! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, Praise God! I am just being obedient to the Lord. He didn't have to use me but I am so glad He did! Your words keep me encouraged! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I Love You. Bless you for bringing forth God's word, so beautiful. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL GIRL

    What a word God is use you

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has only been through my suffering that I have been able to recognize the awesome power of God and the love He has for me. Before then, I took it for granted. Even as I go through at this very moment, I realize that God is using it to make me better. God is a very present help in time of trouble. Lean on Him!

    ReplyDelete