Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, August 27, 2010

More Than Words

It is so funny how I make plans to talk about something and God moves me in a completely different direction.  I was studying the guidance and direction of the Holy Spirit and how much better your life is with it than without it.  I was all set to start writing when I cam across the first few verses of Isaiah 58. (Please take a moment to read the entire chapter.)  I hated to admit that these verses might be describing me.  Every day I am praying, seeking God, thanking Him for what is has done and thanking Him also for what He is going to do.  Somewhere between my morning prayers and my evening prayers, life happens.  And the events of that day I have to say are not always very becoming of a child of God.  This silliest thing about all this is that I act as if God doesn't see it all.  Here I am fussing and complaining because He hasn't answered my prayer. Wondering where is my pat on the back for praying and studying His Word everyday.  I started laughing after reading this because I believe God had to be laughing at me. 

I have been on a personal mission for some time now to get to know God better.  To develop a deeper, more meaningful relationship.  To live my life so that in all things God is glorified.  I am growing, but there are days that it seems none of my prayers are being answered.  I'm saying the right words in my prayers but my heart is full of bitterness and strife. My prayers have become more of a ritual.  It's like the prayers we teach our children to recite at dinner and bedtime.  I am at church every Sunday but my praise is not for real.  After all, I didn't have the best night or morning at home.  But I knew that I had to go to church.  After all, it was Sunday!  As I was reading these verses, I realized that it is never about the ritual or the tradition or the religious practice.  God wants us to be sincere.  He wants honesty.  He wants us to show true compassion for our brother and our sister.  It's not about asking Him for the things listed above and then going about our day as if God doesn't live in our hearts.  Participating in Bible study and a few minutes later fighting with your spouse.  The phone rings and you are on the phone gossiping about your sister.  For that matter, you're doing it while sitting in church, talking about what the person next to you is wearing.  We have some nerve.  But that doesn't stop us from filling up God's request line.  Gimme, gimme, gimme. 

Now I'm not saying that a deeper, more meaningful relationship is not necessary.  We should all desire to have one and God is more than willing to give it to us.  What I am saying is that cannot and should not turn on and off our Christianity.  Our worship and praise should not be as unto man.  As God is working in you, transforming you, your life should reflect that change.  I'm sure none of us have a problem saying the right thing.  However, I am here to tell you that God is more concerned with our actions.  If you really want God to show up in your life than let your words and actions become one.  Let God be your guide.  There is so much He wants to do in your life.  He wants you to listen to Him and let Him be your guide.  He is always there to guide you (v.11)   He has everything that you need. 

Dear Lord, 

I am a little bruised right now because of what I just read in your Word.  It caused me to do a self-evaluation and I realize that my heart has not always been sincere.  I have ignored your direction and the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  I know that I have the power within me to make good choices and live a life that is pleasing in Your sight.  I confess that I have not always done that.  I'm not making excuses. I just want to say that I'm sorry.  Now that I know, I want to do better.  I know that I can with your help.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

1 comment:

  1. More Than Word

    You know we all have ignored the direction form the Holy Spirit. And we all make poor choices but we can do better cause we know better keep on writing I love it!

    ReplyDelete