Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah!

Reflection is definitely good for the soul.  I was just sitting here today and thinking about decisions I have made in my life.  Sad to say, not many of them were led by the Holy Spirit.  Most of the time I made the decision and then when it didn't go as planned I asked God to straighten out my mess.  And because the Lord is faithful to His Word, He did just that.  But now I am trying to do things a little smarter and that means following the direction of the Holy Spirit and waiting to hear what He has to say before I make a move. 


Psalms 143:10 says, 'Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; let your good Spirit lead me into a level country and into the land of uprightness'.

Psalms 25:5 says, 'Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long'. 

Isaiah 58:11 says, ' The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.  You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail'.

Not once, not twice, but three times we see what the results can be if we simply consult Him for guidance and there are many other verses in the Bible on the same subject.  I encourage you to take some time this week and see what else the Bible has to say on this.  I know the reason I usually move ahead with my plans instead of waiting on God.  Patience.  My nature is such that I want what I want when I want it.  Ask my husband and my children.  If someone is taking too long, I usually just do it myself.  Then I become upset because they didn't do it fast enough. (I'm working on that...especially since God keeps tapping me on the wrist about it.)  Needless to say, I now see how many obstacles I could have avoided if I had just waited patiently.  Instead what do I do, I go talk to someone else about it and then when they give me their advice, I tell myself that God was speaking through them and I move ahead.  Before you start to argue with me, let me say that yes, that does happen sometimes.  God does use people to show us things.  But sometimes we don't know for sure and we run with it.  At least I do.  Should I take this job? Is this the right time for me to go back school?  Lord, I'm picking up some warning signs, should I continue to date this man or this woman?  The preacher made me mad so I'm not going to that church anymore.  I'm just going to move over here. 

We have to make decisions everyday.  I believe that if we develop a lifestyle of prayer and remain in communion with God all day then we come to recognize His voice and He then guides us into all truth.  I also believe that the Word is here to guide us.  I have prayed about something before and wasn't sure of the answer but when I opened up His Word, what I read was as clear as the nose on my face.  He also left us His Holy Spirit, who urges us daily on what direction to go.  It's not that we don't have what we need.  It's more a matter of being in tune and listening.  God is always there...are you listening?

Dear Lord, 

I have been praying for a while about what to do about this situation.  (Be specific)  As of today, I still don't know what to do.  But I am going to wait on you.  I don't want to find myself in a situation of my own design. I need your guidance.  Hear my prayer, O Lord.   In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Ramona:

    You better stop we are getting ready to have Church up in here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had church when I wrote it because I was just needing an answer on something. Go ahead and have church!

    ReplyDelete