Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, August 16, 2010

Contentment

I have decided that I do not want to know the secret to success.  I want to know the secret to contentment.  To be like Paul who said...'for I have learned to be content whatever, the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:11-12)

Once again I must remind you that Paul's life was not the best when he wrote the book of Philippians.  In fact, he was in prison.  Now I have never been to prison, but I can only imagine that it was probably not the most opportune spot to be proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ.  However, Paul learned what we all need to learn...the secret to contentment.  What is the secret?  This world is not our home. We are simply passing through.  Once you accepted Jesus into your heart you became a visitor on this earth.  Your life became a vessel to be used by God.  He has purposed your life so that He can get the glory.  Bottom line...you will suffer.  But our Heavenly Father does not leave you out there on a ledge all by yourself.  He is with you.  You have a leaning post.  Stop walking around wallowing in self-pity, asking everybody "Why is this happening to me?"  When are you finally going to get it?  Yes, we would all like to be well off, but that is not going to happen for some of us.  Yes, we would all like to be disease free, but some of us are going to get sick, maybe even with  terminal illness.  Yes, we would all like to keep our hearts in one piece instead of having them broken by this person and that person over and over again.  But a broken heart helps you appreciate the unconditional love of God even more. 

Whatever the circumstance!  That is a mighty powerful statement.  We can all have the same type of outlook on life. How?  Remember that it is God that worketh in you, both to will and to do of His good pleasure. Once again I am here to remind you stop focusing on your problem and start pulling from God's strength.  The Lord will make a way!  He can and He will.  And when you need just a little something to pull from, when you have that day when it seems like the world is falling in  around you, tell yourself 'I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength'.  It is by His strength that we can make it through every storm, through every test, through every trial.  A lot of us have been looking at this thing all wrong.  It's not about moving up that corporate ladder of success.  It's about moving on up to glory.  I might not have that deluxe apartment in the sky but I do have a mansion in heaven with my name on it.  I might not drive the most expensive car but I do know that in heaven the streets are paved with gold and the best that I could imagine still does not compare to what is waiting for me in glory.

Dear Lord,

Take my life and use it in any way you see fit. I haven't always understood your purpose or your plan for my life but one thing I am sure of and that is you will never leave me along and as long as I have you, I know that I can make it through anything.  I am looking forward to the day when I will see your face and thank you for thinking enough about me to not leave me in the condition that I was in.  Thank you Lord. In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ramona:

    Contentment

    You are talking to me I got to be contentment whatever the circumstances I am in Girl you just keep writing. I love it

    ReplyDelete