Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Search My Heart

No matter how much it may appear that I am growing spiritually, I am not foolish enough to every think that I am completely where I need to be.  There is a prayer that I pray that I want to share with you today. I have said once before that most of my prayers are taken directly from the scriptures and this one is no different.  It is found in the 139th chapter of Psalms, verses 23-24. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  This is a very serious prayer.  It is not a prayer that you pray if you are not ready for God to go to work.  I do believe, however, that it is a prayer that all Christians should pray and not just once but regularly. 

I don't know much about operations other than what I see on television.  One thing that I have learned is that many people have operations to remove something that is hindering a particular organ from operating properly.  Over a period of time there is gunk that has built up that has caused the organs dysfunction.  This is especially bad for the heart.  Medically speaking, the human heart has four chambers, two superior atria and two inferior ventricles. The atria are the receiving chambers and the ventricles are the discharging chambers. The right ventricle discharges into the lungs to oxygenate the blood. The left ventricle discharges its blood toward the rest of the body via the aorta. (I know...you did not come here for a science lesson.)  But I told you this to make a point.  As hard as we try to watch what we take in, we are not always going to receive what is good for us.  Every now and then a little gossip slips in, a little vulgarity slips in, some sexual immorality, a little bitterness, some strife...and on and on and on.  Now if all these things are received through are atria, then what are we discharging out through our ventricles?  That is why God must perform a divine operation.  He must rid us of all these things that are not good for us.  That is why in Proverbs 4:23 we are told to 'guard our heart with all diligence, for out of it flows the issues of life'.  You can't afford to take any chances.  Think about the damage a bad heart can do to your witness for the Lord.

Now for me, this prayer is sometimes a scary thing.  Especially when I am seemingly on the right track. Listen to what David said.  He asked the Lord to search his heart but then also to try him and test him and even examine his thoughts.  I don't know about you, but on some days my actions are fine but my thoughts are far from Godly.  That's real talk ya'll.  I may not say it out loud but I would hate for that person who did me wrong to hear what I am thinking in my head.  That is why I must pray.  Because when I would do good, evil is always present.  I must give it all to God and let him take it out of me. By any means necessary.  And as I said before this isn't a prayer I can only pray once. I must continuously pray this prayer.  Remember it is about growth, my brother and my sister.  When we are witnessing for Him, people can see through the facade and we want our ministry to be effective.  It must be sincere and true and from the heart. 

My challenge today is simple.  Will you pray this prayer with me?

Dear Lord,

My prayer today is simple. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment