Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You Know Better

One of the things I say to my children quite often is...You know better.  Why do they know better?  Because I taught them better.  In the book of Colossians Chapter 1, Paul wrote to the church at Colosse.  What caught my eye in this particular chapter was the prayer he prayed for them in verse nine.  'For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom'. 

As Christians we should desire to be filled with the knowledge of the Word of God.  We have it at our disposal.  There are over 30 translations.  You can find it on the internet.  I have the Bible application on my phone.  They make it on CDs to play in your car.  I am not for sure if you can get it on iTunes yet as an mp3, but I would almost bet that you can.  My point is that it is available to us.  There is never a need to say that you don't know or even that someone gave you the wrong information because you can read it for yourself. 

There are several good things about the knowledge that comes from the Word of God. First of all, it helps us to develop a closer relationship with God.  I have said time and time again in order to get to know someone truly, you must spend time with them.  And secondly with the true knowledge that comes from the Word you gain wisdom.  This is the type of knowledge that holds practical value.  It is the kind that is readily available for all situations.  When you study His Word and really know who He is, then there are some things you don't worry about.  You hold the right medicine for every illness.  Take Romans 8:28.  That verse applies to every situation.  When you know the meaning behind the words written in Psalms 23 and Psalms 91, then you can go to sleep at night.  The knowledge from the Word of God provides wisdom well beyond your years. 

Paul then goes on in verse 10 to talk about the type of knowledge that pleases the Lord, that bears good fruit.  It was his prayer that as they gained this knowledge, they would then use this knowledge to do the right thing. This is the part I was talking about at the beginning. It doesn't do any good to have this knowledge and then decide not to do better.  Yes, I did say decide.  What do you expect the results to be from this decision? It is as though you are laughing in God's face. At least that's how I take it when my children decide to do something that they have the knowledge not to do.  I take it as disrespect and then they sow the results of that decision.  And after all that God has done for us and all the promises that He has in store for us, we continue to take the knowledge we have received from His Word and put it in the storage bin of our mind and continue to do what we want.  Even as I am writing this, I just started shaking my head, thinking about how many times I have been just like my children with God.  He could have turned His back on me a long time ago.  But that's where my knowledge kicks in, knowing that He will never leave me nor forsake me.  That knowledge that tells me that 'He that has began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus'.  That tells me that I am a work in progress.  Bottom line...I know better.  And because I know better, I should do better.  I should use the knowledge that I have obtained to glorify God's kingdom.  I should be that light that shines in the midst of darkness. 

That is my challenge to you today.  Take the time to gain the knowledge.  Don't just rely on your Pastor or your Sunday School teacher to provide your information. Study to show thyself approved unto God.  Once you have obtained that knowledge then use it to glorify the Father.

Dear Lord,

I know better.  I know that I continue to do things I shouldn't do and I still am not studying your Word enough. If I am honest with myself, I am just not ready to give them up.  But I am giving it to you. Lord, please take away my desire.  Remove it from me.  I want to to do Your will.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

4 comments: