Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Transitions

Things change...people transition.  How often do we get the two confused?  Transition times are 'wilderness' times where we discover or rediscover our identity and God prepares us for the next chapter in our story.  Several things may take place during this time period.  The one I want to discuss today is when God uses this time to prune us. Now I am a city girl so I had to do a little studying on what 'pruning' actually was.  In reading John 15, the story of the vine and the branches, pruning sounded a little harsh.  After studying a little bit more about it, I realized that it was.  But it was the end result that I came to look forward to. 

As I was reading up on pruning there was one particular word that stuck out to me and that was the word 'selective'.  Did you know that pruning is a horticulture practice that involves the selective (there goes that word again) removal of parts?  Reasons to prune plants include deadwood removal, shaping (by controlling or directing growth), improving or maintaining health, and both harvesting and increasing the yield or quality of fruit. Now that you have had your lesson in horticulture go with me to John 15:1-2 which says,  "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." Thank God that He is all-knowing.  He can see, even those things that I try to camouflage, that are not like Him.  Believe it or not, as much as I try to do what is right and live a life that is Holy and acceptable and pleasing in the eyes of the Lord, there are still things that God can see that are a part of me that need to removed in order for me to do the work that He has set before me to do.  And what better person to handle it than the Master Gardener.  As I have grown into a more mature Christian, I am come to be thankful for my season of pruning and recognize it as a period of transition.  It is during this time that God not only removes some sinful things in my life, but He also removes some things that I thought were useful and good. Now it is natural during this time to feel a sense of loss.  I even remember being angry and frustrated with my life. But as you come to understand this period in your life, you will begin to notice that you feel lighter, as if a load has been lifted.  You must come to trust the wisdom of the Father as this process is taking place. 

So how do you deal with the pruning process?  I believe that God gave us the answer right in His Word. "If ye abide in me and my words abide in you..."  How easy it is for us to turn our backs on God, especially when it seems as though He has turned His back on us.  After all what kind of God would cause me so much pain.  And let me tell you that pruning is a painful process.  I mean He can cut off anything, including people.  I think that was the hardest for me.  But remember I said that pruning can include those things which we think are useful and good, when in God's eyes they are not.  That is why it is important to abide (remain, continue, stay) in Him.  Remember His promises.  Romans 8:28. Hebrews 13:5. Psalms 23  And especially the promise at the end of the verses I quoted above that tells us when this process is over, you will be even more fruitful.  You will be even more prepared to do the work that God has purposed you to do.  That God will be glorified, which is always the main purpose of everything we, as Christians, do. 

You may be in a period of transition right now where it seems that God has forgotten you.  He has left you in this horrible state, when in fact you may just be in the pruning process.  Instead of becoming angry and frustrated, try praising Him. God has not forgotten you. In fact, He was thinking especially about you.  He is removing that dead weight and shaping you and maintaining you for His work.  He didn't bring you this far to leave you.  Hold on!  You are just in a period of transition. 

Thank you Father for my period of transition.  Satan had snuck in and was trying to tell me that you had forgotten about me, that you had left me out here all alone.  I just want you thank You for your Word that has sustained me during this time and will continue to keep me during and after this period of transition is over.  I thank you Father for thinking enough about me not to leave me the way I am.  You are always thinking of me, helping me to decrease so that you may increase and so that I can be a light that shines in this dark world.  Lord I just thank you because you have never given up on me.  I give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Ramona:

    That the kind Of God he is he just that good

    ReplyDelete