Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Criticism as a Kindness

Are you familiar with the saying, 'You should look for the good in everything'.  Well I read something today that made me question this statement.  It was in Psalms 141:5a.  It says, ' Let the godly strike me!  It will be a kindness!  If they reprove me, it is soothing medicine.  Don't let me refuse it'.   What is this verse talking about?  It is talking about criticism. 

Now I don't know about you but I don't take to kindly to criticism, even if it is so-called constructive criticism.  It is not that I believe that I do everything right, I would just rather figure it out myself than to have someone else come tell me something that I can do better.  On top of that, there is just something about criticism.  You can say it in the sweetest tone and it still doesn't come across well.  But here in this verse we are being told to accept criticism.  In fact, we are told to welcome it and receive it as a kindness.  Don't argue with the one who is giving it but take it as 'soothing medicine'.  Why would we be told to receive criticism as a kindness?  Here in this Psalms, David was on the run yet again, probably from Saul.  And in the midst of his persecution there were those around him telling him all kinds of things, some good and some bad.  David's prayer was that he be told these things, even if on the surface they seemed bad.  You see, these very things that seemed bad on the surface may help to point out something that was really wrong and could cause him to relapse in to sin or keep him from his right relationship with God.  And David did not want that. 

So, as a believer we should also be looking for ways to become better.  We should also realize that God uses people sometimes to make us aware of things that may need changing.  The question is how do we receive these words.  I am sharing this with you today because I know how difficult this can be.  You're going through something and somebody comes up to share something with you that you need to change or do better.  Or sometimes they ask you that one question and you are like, 'Who is he/she to come and say this to me as if he/she is doing so much better?'  My challenge to you today is for you to look for the good in the criticism.  Don't reject it but receive it.  Take it as kindness.  God thought enough of you to give you the opportunity to correct that something in you that needs a little work.  And believe me we all have something that needs a little work.  Learn to control how you react to criticism.  It doesn't matter if the person had bad intentions when they said it.  Take it and ask God to help you see it through Godly eyes.  In the end you will be the better for it.

Dear Lord,

I really don't like it when people criticize me.  I could probably receive it much better if it were coming directly from you but I understand that is not how you work all the time.  So I'm asking for your help.  Help me to stop and pray and ask what you want me to take from the criticism that is given.  And if it is given with bad intentions, help me to pray for the person that is saying it instead of arguing or becoming upset.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment