Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Genuine Love

I love people.  I want everyone to be blessed and do well in whatever it is that they set out to do.  Now, I don't always like everyone because some people are mean and they make it their life's mission to ruin your day.  But even with all that, I still love everyone and even pray that those people finally see the light and know that nothing good can come from having a negative, bad attitude all the time. 

Romans 12:9-10 says, 'Don't just pretend that you love others.  Really love them.  Hate what is wrong.  Stand of the side of the good.  Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other.'

Some people would say that my opening statement was false.  Nobody can love everyone all the time.  But I say, yes you can!  If God tells us to do something than He will give us the power to do it!  Notice that I did not say that I like everyone all of the time.  I am also justified in saying that because just as we are told to really love our brothers and our sisters, we are also told to hate that which is wrong.  Do you think that someone who makes it their life mission to cause misery to others is doing what is right?  Some people let the jealous gene eat at their spirit and so they try to find fault in somebody else so that they can bring it to the surface and tell others.  I hope that I am not speaking about anyone reading this today.  But if I am, ask God to help you with that.  Ask Him to show you what it is that makes you behave that way.  I guarantee that He can take it out of you and help you to first love yourself and then to love others. 

But back to the loving others...just as it takes more energy to frown than to smile....it takes less energy to love when we do it with the help of the Lord.  And I know you are saying,  No ma'am you are wrong.  It's hard to love so-and-so.  But it really isn't.  Whatever it is that the person is doing to make it hard to love them, take a moment and think about all you do to disappoint the Lord over and over again and yet He still loves you.  Not only does He love you, He does it without a second thought.  Now that's real love.  If we make it a point to forgive more and understand that we all make mistakes and fall short, then we will understand the person on the other end who we sometimes feel doesn't deserve our love. As you realize this more every day, it will become easier.  And the love that you show won't be fake affection, it will be genuine, because it is the love of Christ. 

Dear Lord,

I admit I am one of those people who find it difficult to love, especially when someone does me wrong.  I need your help to love with the love of Christ.  I need your help to show that genuine kind of love that helps to change the hearts of others.  I know that with you I can show that type of love.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment