Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Payback

During a person's life I bet there are many people who you want to get revenge on.  But is that the Godly thing to do.  When someone hurts you, how do you react?  Is your first instinct to pay them back?  What about when that friend lies on you or spreads a nasty rumor about you, do you then decide to take the secrets they have confided in you with and tell someone else?  What about when your co-worker takes credit for your idea and receives a promotion, do you then start to look for something to tell the boss on him/her about?   If these are your reactions then you are not following the principles taught in Romans 12: 17:19 which says, Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.  Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.  Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as it is possible.  Dear friends, never avenge yourselves.  Leave that to God.  For it is written, "I will take vengeance; I will repay those who deserve it," says the Lord.

Yet another principle that God requires of us that is most difficult if we do it of our own strength.  The question I want to pose to you today is...what do you gain from revenge?  Your answer might be that it makes you feel good at the moment.  Another answer might be that it helps you to feel like no one is taking advantage of you.  But when it's all over said and done with, have you gained anything.  You see, when we decide to fight our own battles and take revenge on someone that has done us wrong, we become no better than the person that has mistreated us.  My experience in life has taught me that God can get you far worse than anything another person could ever do and no one has to know about it.  We want revenge because we want to see what happens to the other person.  But God says, leave it to Him.  Remember the song that says, 'If I hold my peace, let the Lord fight my battles.  I know that the victory shall be mine. Victory shall be mine'. 

This journey is about growth.  There comes a time when we should no longer be as babes on milk.  You cannot be in the presence of the Lord and continue to behave as those who are not saved.  Revenge is not of God.  I know that people can do some things that make you want to just go out and get them, but if you do then God is going to have to turn right around and get you.  My daughters love to take matters in their own hands.  One will hit the other one and then there is a series of licks passed back and forth.  They haven't yet realized that only mama can handle the situation.  And because they haven't learned this valuable lesson, I have to get both of them.  Don't be as the child who doesn't know any better.  Let the Lord fight your battles for you.

Dear Lord,

I don't like to be taken advantage of.  I really don't like anyone to mistreat me or my family or my friends.  When they do my first reaction is to get them back.  I know that is not the right thing to do.  Please help me to leave these situations in your hands.  Help me to hold my peace and let you fight my battles.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment