Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, July 26, 2010

Jumping to Conclusions

One very annoying habit that I have is 'jumping the gun'.  I get so mad at myself when I do this, especially when I feel like I'm growing spiritually and seemingly on the right track.  I have tried and tried to stop doing this but it doesn't seem to work.  I don't always do it but there are days that I may hear just the smallest bit of information and I automatically think the worse.  What do I mean?  You know how you are sitting at work one day and a co-worker stops by and said that the company is planning to do layoffs.  You automatically start stressing out.  You start sending out your resume.  You start worrying about how your family is going to eat.  How you are going to continue to pay your bills.  You go in to the doctor for a routine check-up and the doctor says that he found some sort of lump.  You start thinking about how many people in your family have died of cancer and already start planning your funeral. Now you might be thinking that these two are extreme and you don't do this, so let me use some simple examples.  You are in a relationship and your mate starts acting distant or receives a phone call and you automatically assume that he or she is cheating on you.  What about the paranoia we feel from our own insecurities that makes us think that someone is always talking about us or out to get us.  All of the aforementioned are variations of 'jumping to conclusions'.  The sad part about it is that most of the time it is the wrong conclusion.  We have already written our futures instead of trusting God to take care of us no matter what the circumstance. 

I read an interesting scripture today.  One that helped me see things a little differently. Psalms 138:8a says, 'The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me'. Another translation that I like a little better says, 'The Lord will work out His plans for my life'.  What a word!  This tells me that it really doesn't matter what the doctor says, what my company is planning, what my mate is doing, if my friends are talking about me.....no matter what I should have the faith that God is using all these things to fulfill His plans for my life.  Notice I said 'HIS PLANS' for my life.  My plans may be a little different.  I may have thought that this was the company I wanted to retire from.  He may say, "I have other plans for you, my child."  I may have decided that this was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with (Even though I didn't bother to find out how God wanted me to behave in this relationship and I decided to do things my way.  You do know how we like to say that we are doing a 'new thing'.) And God may be saying there are some more things that I am trying to teach you so that you will have the type of marriage that I designed that will last 'til death do us part'.  Maybe you will get sick so that God can heal you and you will be a 'living testimony'.  Maybe there are some friends who will betray you so that you will learn to depend more on Him.  You do realize that every one is not meant to go all the way through with you til the end of your journey. (Very hard lesson for me to learn) Whatever the case may be....He is the Master Architect.  He is the Composer.  Let Him have control of the steering wheel.  He can see what's down the road.  He will shield you and protect you.  Guide you and direct you.  'For He knows the plans that He has for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'. Jeremiah 29:11  But you have to trust him.  STOP FOCUSING ON THE PROBLEMS AND START FOCUSING ON HIS PROMISES.   God is not a man that He should lie.  It will come to pass, even if you have to stop by Layoff Avenue and Chemotherapy Road,  Divorce Lane and Backbiting Expressway.  Everything that happens in your life is so that God can get the glory. He is molding you into His masterpiece.  The way I look at it is that it can be an easy or difficult process.  Take the time to truly realize and recognize the sovereignty of God and praise Him through your situation.  He's working it all out for your good!!!


Dear Lord,

I have spent my lifetime making plans.  Sometimes I have consulted you and other times I haven't.  Even though I know in my heart of hearts that you will work it all out I still like to put my two cents in.  I still like to try to take control back from you. I have a habit of thinking the worse instead of seeing your mighty hand at work.  I have caused myself undue stress time and time again instead of leaning and depending on you.  I am going to do better at this with your help.  Thank you for working out the plans you have for my life.  Help me to realize that everything that happens in my life is so that you can get the glory.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

4 comments:

  1. Ramona:

    I alway Jump to Conclusions what a word I
    need that keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I already have myself in the storm sometimes before God has said it's my time...and then I wind up there longer than He probably intended. And there are times I am just stubborn too! May God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona:

    I am in a storm know and I am not worried about and it is not like me. I not even stress about and it is not like me. I know God got my back. And I Am so safe in his arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you grow and realize the power of the God you serve, you will worry less and less. It is not that you don't recognize the storm, it's just that you realize the God you serve will work it all out for your good. Just stay prayerful and Praise Him in the midst!

    ReplyDelete