Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, July 29, 2010

What Have You Done For Him Lately?

I spend a significant amount of my time with God in my car.  It's not so easy sometimes to just go into my room and close the door and keep the children out.  So I have to use whatever time and space is available to me and as of later I have been spending a lot of time in my car. Today I was thinking about all that God has done for me just in the last few weeks and my spirit began to say to me..."What have you done for Him lately?" 

As I look back over my life I can see the hand of God orchestrating every thing that has occurred.  Of course, all of it was not as I would have liked it to be, but it has all been what was best for me. He has blessed me beyond measure. Then I begin to think about how many times I have let Him down by not being obedient to His Word.  How many times I haven't represented Him in my actions?  How many times I have passed by on the other side when I saw my sister or brother in need?  The times were more than I wanted to admit.  And after all God has done for me, these are just a few things I could do.  What about you? 

Let me put it in terms that helped me.  I'll use my children as an example. God is teaching me so many lessons through my children.  One of the things that bothers me so much about them  is that their hands are always out, yet and still when I ask them to do something for me (like clean their room, wash the dishes, make me something to drink) their lip is stuck out.  They complain the entire time they are doing it and then they do it half-heartedly. It doesn't matter that I am feeding them, clothing them, providing everything they need and will continue to do so because they are my children.  Sounds like me with God!  I am always asking Him for something.  Lord, I need this.  Please bless me with that.  He only asks me to serve Him by serving others and I just complain.  If it's somebody I like, I'm okay with it but what if it is someone I don't like or has done me wrong.  I might do it but I am complaining the entire time.  Lord, why me?  Can't you choose someone else?  So I drag my feet and do the bare minimum and my true feelings are written all over my face.  We are here to serve others.  It is not about whether or not we feel like it or like the person. It's about being obedient to God.  What about in the church?  We stop serving because someone said something to offend us or we don't like the person who is in charge of the committee.  The question of the day is... are we serving God or man?  Man doesn't wake us up every morning.  Man doesn't give us grace and mercy.  Man doesn't love us unconditionally.  But God does....

Colossians 3:23-24, “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.”  Each and every day of your life is an opportunity to be of service.  We do not serve God by going to church on Sunday.  We serve Him by what we do.....and in how we act outside of church.  I always think to myself...if I didn't tell someone I was saved would they know it?  Could they tell by my actions?  Or are my behaviors the same as those who are unsaved?  Take a moment and think about this.  Do you behave like my children when I ask them to do something or do you serve whole-heartedly as unto the Lord?  We can never repay the Lord for all that He has done for us but we can strive to be better representatives of Him in how we live.

Dear Lord,

You don't ask much of me but there are times when I act as though you do.  Dragging my feet and complaining and still asking you to bless me. I need to be a better servant.  I want to be more like you.  You have done so much for me and I know that if you never do anything else for me you've already done enough.  I am so eternally grateful.  Thank you for blessing me.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ramona:

    What Have You done For Him Lately!

    I do dragging my feet and complaining and you are so right he keep blessing me. You just keep writing you are really blessing to me

    ReplyDelete