Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Outward Appearance vs. Internal Development

We do everything in our power to make sure that our outward appearance is perfect.  Most of us have a daily routine that makes sure that this process doesn't go wrong.  We prepare our wardrobe the day before.  We carefully apply our make-up.  We make sure our tie has the perfect knot.  We brush our waves.  We comb out our curls.  We pluck our eyelashes. We trim our nose hairs.  All these things done so that what people see is without flaw.  But what about the man or woman underneath the clothes, behind the mask?

I am the last person to tell you that you should wear your emotions on your sleeve or be vulnerable in the presence of everyone.  I am not like that. For the most part I am a very private person.   I don't believe that God meant for everyone to come inside your circle.  He is not the author of confusion and the more people sometimes, the more confusion.  But I do believe that God wants us to spend more time on our internal development than our outward appearance.  Yet when you really stop to think about it which one has the highest priority in your life?  There was a point and time in my life when I was more concerned about my outward appearance and my internal development was suffering.  My spiritual life was stagnant.  I was dressing up and going to church every Sunday and even Wednesday night but I wasn't doing anything else.  I was working only on my outward appearance.  Somewhere deep down inside I wanted something more...a deeper relationship but I didn't do anything to move in that direction.  I began to look at the life of Jesus.  As busy as He was here on earth, on several occasions you would find Him alone praying. He was preparing for the task at hand, even up until the very day of His death. 

Stop and take a minute and evaluate your daily routine.  What things do you do every day to prepare for work, school, etc?  Is bible reading included?  Is prayer included?  Make a list.  From that list think about what would happen if you didn't do one thing on that list.  I am sure if they made the list then you consider them essential.  If prayer and bible study were not on that list then tell me how are you surviving?  You might have a good answer for me, but I can tell you that you are not.  Remember Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  Life was grand until they ate the apple that God had instructed them not to eat.  In fact they were naked and yet felt no shame. After eating the fruit they realized they were naked and clothed themselves with leaves.  There behavior in the garden started the very behavior we mimic today...covering up. 

The God I serve wants to clean us from the inside out.  He is more concerned with your heart than the clothing brand you wear.  That is why the person who may appear on the outside to be without is the most beautiful person when you talk to them.  They have learned what is important.  They may not have chosen their current lifestyle. In fact, they may have at one time been an executive with a six figure salary.  They may have been the one voted most likely to succeed in the high school yearbook.  They may have been Valedictorian. They may have been the one who had the most dates.  The one who had the most friends.  The one who had the best job.  But then life took a sudden turn.  And during this difficult time they learned how to truly depend on God.  They learned how necessary it is to have daily communion with God.  They learned the importance of preparation.  Today you have the opportunity to dedicate time to your internal development...to let the light of Jesus radiate from you everywhere you go.  To be prepared for whatever you may come up against in life.  Will you continue to cover up and make external alterations or choose to focus on what is truly important?

Dear Lord,

I confess that I have been guilty of focusing more on what others may see on the outside versus the Jesus they need to see coming from the inside.  I know that I need to make you a regular part of my daily preparation process.  Yet, there are days when I neglect you.  I'm sorry.  I am going to do better, with your help.  I want to stop covering up and allow you to clean me up.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

3 comments:

  1. Ramona:

    I do get confess that I been guilty of focusing
    more on what others may see on the outside versus the inside. I need to make God a regular
    part of my daily preparation process.That is what I got to work on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This life is about spiritual growth. Continue to ask God to show you what things He wants to change. The more we get to know Him and give Him control, the more we will be just like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl all I can say is Amen. So true, so true...

    ReplyDelete