Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, July 30, 2010

You Reap What You Sow

We have all heard the expression, "You reap what you sow'.  It is found in the Bible in Galatians 6:7.  Most of the time when we hear this expression it is from a negative perspective.  There is nothing wrong with looking at it that way.  We all need to realize that God cannot be fooled.  He is aware of everything we do and there is technically nothing done in the dark in the eyes of God.  But that is not what I want to talk about today.  What I want to talk about is what is said in verse 9 of the same chapter. 

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

First I want to talk about God's Awareness.  There isn't anything that God does not know. That means He sees your obedience.  He sees each and every time you are at war with yourself and you choose to make the right decision.  You choose to bless those that curse you.  You go out of your way to smile at the very person you know is talking about you behind your back.  You take that moment to listen to someone in need.  You actually pray when someone asks you to pray for them.  Instead of cussing out the person who cuts you off or won't let you merge onto the highway, you hold your tongue.  Never think for one moment that God is asleep or not paying attention.  Remember that his eye is on the sparrow and you have that blessed assurance that He is watching you. 

That is not the part, however, that I have the problem with.  I stopped trying to "hide" things from God a long time ago.  I am to the point in my life now that I feel guilty when I make a mistake or let God down by choosing my sinful nature over my spiritual nature.  And I try really hard.  The part I have a problem with is 'when is the proper time?'  It sounds all good when I hear the preacher say (or even myself say) that our reward is not here on this earth.  And believe me when I tell you that I am looking forward to the day when I can see my Saviour's face and thank Him personally for saving me.  But let me be real and say that sometimes I want to reap the good I sow RIGHT NOW!  Doesn't God know how hard it was for me to do that good deed.  I had to literally bite my tongue not to cuss that person out!  Doesn't He know that I see all these other people being blessed and they don't do half of what I do?  (I don't really know what they do...but it sounds good.)  I am thankful for my life, my health and my strength but those things are a given.  (Not really...there are many people who made plans the night before and didn't wake up the next morning.)  It's not even that I'm looking at what other people have because I have learned that I don't know what God took them through to receive the blessings they have received.  What it all boils down to is that I don't want to wait!  I hate to wait.  I want to see the fruits of my labor now.  But you have heard me say before that it is not about my timing, it is about GOD'S TIMING! And to take it even further it's about the proper time.

I looked up the definition of proper and it said 'specially adapted or suitable to a specific purpose or specific conditions'.  My question for you today is do you know your purpose?  As Christians we know that everything we do should be to glorify God's kingdom and as we glorify God's kingdom, we become more like Christ.  That is our purpose.  What I like about the definition given above is that it tells me that God thought enough of me that what I reap and when I reap my harvest is 'specially adapted' just for me.  With all the things God has to take care of, He cares enough about me to make sure that I receive what I need when I need it.  And since He sees 'my story' from beginning to end, I would much rather sit and wait for His proper time.  And while I am waiting, I will continue to work for Him.  I will continue to choose God's way.  Will you?

Dear Lord,

It's no fun to wait but I am starting to realize that what You have prepared for me is far greater than anything I could every imagine.  I don't want to settle for temporary rewards instead I want to wait on my eternal reward.  I know that if it is given by you and I take proper care of what I receive than I can make it on that and don't need anything else.  Thank you that you cared enough about me to design a plan specifically for my life.  Help me to follow your direction and not to move either to the left or to the right without clear instruction for you.  I know that my life will be better for it.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Ramona:

    What a word! Keep writing I love It

    ReplyDelete