Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, July 5, 2010

Healthy Self-Esteem

'I'm just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about somebody who can save anybody.'

Each day as I read God's word and pray, I ask Him what He would like for me to share with others.  There are days when I receive comments that thank me for letting God use me as His vessel and it could be very easy for me to get the 'Big Head'.  But as I continue on in the path God has set before me I am careful to have healthy self-esteem but not to become a "goody-too-shoes" or think of myself more highly than I ought to  think. 

Read with me Romans 12:3.  It says, 'As God's messenger, I give each of you this warning:  Be honest in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God as given you.'  I would encourage you to read the entire twelfth chapter of Romans.  It is a great read.

We are all God's messengers. All of us may not have the same calling, but we are all working for the Lord.  Some of us are preachers. Some of us are teachers.  Some of us can lift someones spirits with the sound of our voice as we sing praises to God.  Some of us serve others.  Some of us can simply smile at someone and make the world a better place for someone else.  Whatever it is that you do, know that you are called.  It can be very easy to lose sight of what our primary goal is and take our eyes off Jesus and start to look at ourselves as the one who is doing it all.  I can't count how many times I hear people say, "I did this. I am the one working everyday;  I did this.  I'm the one who put in all the hours studying to get up in front of these people and preach or teach."  How silly it is for anyone to think this way!  Don't you know that it is God who gave you your gift.  Without Him you are nothing.  That is why the scripture tells us to be honest in your estimate of yourself.  

If you are a preacher, then determine to be the best preacher you can be. If you are a teacher, decide to be the best preacher you can be.  If you are a server, a singer, a hugger, someone who smiles....whatever it is be the best person you can be.  But never forget that your gift came from God and just as He gave it to you, He can take it away.  Healthy self-esteem is great.  I know so many people who battle with feelings of insecurity.  I am one of them.  But I don't let that stop me from doing the work of the Lord.  Because I know that whatever I need, God's got it! 

Dear Lord,

I come to you today humble.  I know that you have given me a gift and I want to continue to use it for your glory.  Help me to never think of myself as better than anyone else.  Everything I have is because of you.  Let my estimate of myself only be what you see when you look at me.  And I know that I am but a filthy rag who has been washed in the blood of the Lamb.  Thank you for thinking enough of me to want to use me in your service.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment