Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Invisible but not Insignificant

We have read the Bible and heard the stories about a baby who was born in a manager, performed miracles, was betrayed, crucified, died and then rose on the third day with all power in His hands.  But none of us have seen God with our own eyes. For all intents and purpose, He is invisible. So what makes us believe in Him?

I believe that our life experiences make us believe in Him.  Each one of us have had a time in our life where God has stepped in and done the impossible.  He has taken a situation and turned it around for the better.  Have you ever been sitting in church and felt the spirit of the Lord come over the sanctuary?  It is one of the most awesome experiences you will ever feel and when the spirit of the Lord is absent, church is long and dull.  So is there a time when God is absent?  There may be times that we want Him to be absent because we want to do what we want to do without any consequence.  I also know that there are times when He is silent because there is a greater lesson that we need to learn. But He is never absent.  He left us the Holy Spirit.  And what does the Holy Spirit do?  Does he just lie around waiting for us to call out to him in our time of need.  I think not. 

John 16: 7-8; 13-14 says, 'But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.  And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment...But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.  He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you. 

The Holy Spirit is there as our spiritual guide.  He is that little nudge you feel pushing you in the right direction when you are at a crossroads.  Do I go to the left or the right?  He's receiving His directions from the Father above and whatever he hears he passes on to you.  He prays for you.  He transfers that feeling of peace that comes over you during trying times.  He is by no means just sitting around as a spectator in your life just waiting for you to slip up so he can go back and report it to the commander-in-chief.  No, he is doing just the opposite.  His purpose is to stop you before you get to that point of messing up.  He wants you to be prepared for the next storm that's brewing afar off.  That's why there are times when you can feel him all over you.  It's almost as though you can touch him.  So although He is invisible; He is far from insignificant.  So the very next time you feel that tugging on your heart, listen to that still small voice.  It will be better for you to listen in advance and do it right the first time. 

Dear Lord,

Even though I cannot see you, I know that you are here with me.  I thank you for your guidance when I have to make major decisions that will affect not only me but those in my care.  Help me to heed those warnings and pay attention to detours and speed bumps.  I know that they are there only to help me along my journey.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment