Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Do You Know Him?

I absolutely love to read!  I have even passed my love of reading down to my oldest daughter.  Right now I am reading a book by one of my favorite authors, Charles Swindoll.  The book is called Growing Deep in the Christian Life.  The book is excellent.  Most people who love to read would not classify this book as excellent. In fact most would call it boring but I love it.  Why because it is helping me with a goal of mine - to know God better, to be more obedient, to not just put Him first but keep Him first.  The book is about doctrine and whenever you think of doctrine you think boring.  That is why preachers preach on Sunday morning and not teach.  They know that we want to hear something that makes us feel good and gives us hope.  Makes us shout! But whenever you have a goal of getting to know God better - you have to know what you believe.  Today as I was reading the chapter on God the Father, I came across a series of questions that I want to share with you today.  Remember the reason  I write is to encourage you to continue on in your walk with God.  My prayer is that my words make you think.  That the encourage you to do better.

Here are the questions:

1. Are you really growing in your knowledge of God as the days and weeks slip by?
2.  Are you honestly walking more closely with Jesus Christ? If not, why not?
3.  What might be keeping you from making this goal number one? 
4.  What would you have to change in your life and schedule to shift your focus and perspective in the coming months? 

I absolutely love the way God works!  Last week I was having a hard time prioritizing and was trying to think of what I was going to have to give up in order to keep my sanity.  Family, school, writing...all these things pulling me in different directions. After prayer and through tears, I concluded that all I needed to do was Put God First!  Then I went on to say on yesterday that 'unless the Lord builds a house....all your work is in vain'.  So once again I am reading and studying and meditating on God's Word and I come to these four questions.  Now let me start by saying that if you are not ready to answer these questions honestly then don't because God knows.  I really don't even have anything profound to say but I must be obedient to the Holy Spirit.

We all can come up with a list of excuses as to why knowing God is not our top priority.  Go ahead and take some time and make that list.  Then after you make that list, take a moment and list all the things you worry about.  All the things that keep you up at night.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tear up that list of worries?  I think so.  And you can tear up that list of worries when you make God number one.  I might sound like a broken record to you but let me share with you how many times I have started and stopped my journey to get to know the Lord better and walk completely in His ways.  Reading His Word daily. Praying daily.  Placing everything in His hands.  Too many times to count.  There was always some distraction that kept me away from it. Something that took up my time.  Sometimes I was just too tired.  But things are different now and the reward is so much greater.  And I'm the type of person that if I find something that works and makes life a little bit easier for me then I want to share it with others.

God doesn't want you to get to know Him better so he can brag.  He wants you to get to know Him better to help you.  He sees your stress, doubt, depression, fear, worries.  He wants you to turn them all over to Him.  He sees through that mask that you put on at work, at home and even at church.  He wants so badly to provide for you that inner peace.  But you have to do your part.  How do you do your part ? By getting to know Him, that is, everything about Him.  Being prepared for whatever life may throw your way.  Like when the weatherman says that there is rain in the forecast.  What do you do?  You take an umbrella with you.  Most of you keep an umbrella in your car or at your desk at work.  Why? Because you never know when it's going to rain.  You are prepared.  And that's exactly what getting to know God better does for us. It prepares us so that we are not bothered by every storm that comes our way. When the rain comes you have your umbrella, safety in the arms of Jesus.  We have faith in the God that we serve.  We accept the fact that we are victorious.  God has already won the battle.  All we have to do is trust Him to do what He says.  And He will! 

I encourage whoever is reading this today to take a moment and answer the questions above.  Be honest.  What do you need to change in your life in order to make knowing God a priority?  I cannot answer that for you.  One thing I can tell you is that the day you make that decision you won't regret it.

Dear Lord,

Every day I am striving to do better.  Today I surrender my daily schedule to you.  I need your help in rearranging it so that I have time for you.  I have been having a hard time doing this one my own so I am coming to you for help.   I no longer want to just squeeze you into my day. I want you to be intermingled throughout my day.  Thank you Lord for doing this for me.  It has been an impossible task up until now.  But I know that you are a God who specializes in the impossible.  Today I begin anew and I will follow you forward.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment