Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Proper Response!

Have you ever just been so overwhelmed at the goodness of the Lord? A day where you just looked around you and everywhere you looked was a reminder of how good God has been to you.  Today was a day like that for me.  A day when I realized that, in spite of me, God still loves me just the same and keeps on making a way for me. 

So what is the proper response when you think of how good God has been to you?  Praise!!!  Pure, unadulterated praise.  Time where we thank God just for being God.  Time when we thank Him for bringing us this far.  Saints of God there are times when I think about how good God has been to me and I just have to shout out Hallelujah!  And this feeling hits me at the weirdest times.  Believe it or not, it's not when everything seems to be going good.  It's at those times when things are a little hectic.  Everything is not flowing the way I think it should.  My carefully designed plan of action is falling apart at the seams.  It is times when my bills are larger than my bank account.  That probably sounds strange to you.  But it actually makes sense. 

You see, whenever I start to get a little afraid or stressed or worried, what better time to reflect on the goodness of the Lord!  I can take a moment to rewind the video of my life and count how many times God has made a way out of no way.  I think about how things really could be worse than they are, BUT GOD!

 I turn to the Word and read verses like Psalms 18: 2-3 which saysThe Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the Lord, who is worth to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

Psalms 34: 1-4 which saysI will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises.  I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are discouraged take heart.  Come, let us tell of the Lord's greatness; let us exalt his name together.  I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears.

Psalms 91:1 which says: Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Psalms 94: 17-19 which says: Unless the Lord had helped me, I would soon have died.  I cried out, "I'm slipping!" and your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.  When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.

I could go on and on but hopefully you get my point.  I like the way they used to do it in the old testament when God showed up and showed out.  They built a memorial to remember each and every time God showed up.  I haven't built a memorial but I do have reminders all around me.  I am sure you do to.  There is no need to be discouraged.  There is no need to worry, doubt or fear.  You have the Lord on your side and having Him is better than winning the lottery.  It is better than having a six-figure job.  My God owns the cattle on a thousand hills!  It is better than having the number to the best doctor.  My God is a physician who has never lost a case!  It is better than having a lawyer in the family.  My God is a lawyer in a courtroom.  The wealth of a Christian has yet to be determined because we often times do not tap into our greatest resource.  Instead we choose to be self-sufficient, relying on earthly things that will fade away.  I am here to tell you I would much rather have Jesus! 

You see, every time the devil tries to creep in and steal my joy I stop Him.  I think about the goodness of Jesus and all He has done for me.  Immediately my thoughts change from the negative to the positive.  I can't think about God and remain the same.  He has changing power.  He can change your circumstances but even better He can change your heart, your mind.  He can give you a peace that surpasses all understanding.  The next time you are tempted to feel sorry about your situation, hit rewind.  Take a moment and reflect on all that God has done for you.  Remember I Corinthians 2:9 which says, No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him!   And then give God his proper response....a voice of PRAISE!!!!!

 Dear Lord,

I just want to take some time out right now and say thank you.  Thank you, first and foremost, just for being who you are.  Thank you for everything that you have done for me.  Thank you for your grace. Thank you for your mercy.  As I look back on my life, I see your hand in every aspect of my life.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  And I still say thank you, because through it all I'm okay.  Lord, help me to remember your goodness whenever I start to feel discouraged, whenever I start to doubt or I am afraid.  Help me to know that you are right there with me directing my paths.  I just want to give you all the glory you deserve.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment