Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, June 4, 2010

Put God First!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and ALL these things shall be added unto you."  Matthew 6:33

I actually love the way it reads in the New Living Translation:  And He will give you all that you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.

Boy did I need to hear this today.  Call me crazy but here I am with nine hours of college credit in four weeks.  I am a wife and a mother of four.  I also write this blog everyday.  I exercise in the morning and I walk two and a half miles in the evening.  Today I don't feel like I have enough.  Something is going to go without.  I don't have enough energy to give everything a hundred percent.  I woke up this morning thinking maybe I need to drop one of these classes.  All this reading.  My husband already told me that he was prepared for me to be cranky.  Not good for my relationship.  Of course children require a lot of attention. And I just started writing and I don't want to give it up. 

So up from my storage bank popped this verse.  I paused and thanked God.  This one verse put it all in perspective for me.  I needed to prioritize.  Put God first.   I could not stop my quiet time with God. My bible study.  My prayer life.  My ministry - which is my writing.  It had to continue.  And as I honored God through obedience, I had no doubt that He would honor me by honoring His Word.  In the earlier paragraph I listed several things that could easily take first place on my priority list. And each of them have in times past.  But I had to make a choice not to make that mistake again.  The Kingdom of God had to be my primary concern.  In all the hustle and bustle of my daily routine I needed to fill my thoughts with that of Christ.  I needed to pray without ceasing.  I needed to focus on Him.  And when I do these things He will take care of the rest. 
That's the best news I have heard in a long time.  It settled my anxiety.  I am confident that every thing will be alright.  God is not a man that He should lie and these words were written in red which means Jesus spoke them himself.  He said these words after telling them not to worry about having enough food or drink or clothing.  And man, is it easy to worry.  But not anymore.  I'm standing on His promises.  I'm trusting Him.  I'm setting my priorities in order.  I'm putting God first!

Dear Lord,

Thank you for your Word which has given me hope.  Through my tears I know that every thing is going to be alright.  I don't have to worry.  I know that when I put you first everything else will fall into place.  I will be able to take care of my family, continue with school, my job, my health. (personalize for you)  I admit that the first thing I am tempted to give up is my time spent with you.  I have often said, God knows my heart.  And yes you do.  But I don't want to make it hard on myself anymore.  I am making you number one.  And when I am tempted to forget please remind me.  I pray this prayer in your wonderful name.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this reminder. I definitely tend to worry. I need to repriortize my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that this post has helped someone else because it was right on time for me! It gave me the push I needed to run on and see what the end will be! Know that you can make it!

    To God be all the glory!

    ReplyDelete