Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tap Into Your Source

Driving home from choir rehearsal tonight a very familiar verse kept playing in my mind. It was the first chapter of Psalms.  The verse that kept playing over and over again was 2a.  'He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of waters that bringeth forth his fruit in his season'.  I really like the way it is translated in the New Living Translation which reads, 'They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season without fail'.

I took a moment and thought about what that meant.  The chapter began by talking about watching the company we keep and how detrimental the wrong company can be to our lives.  I call this conflicting company.  You know those people we continue to associate with even though you know they aren't representing what you believe in.  They are also not supportive in the positive changes you are trying to make in your life.  This verse does not imply that we are to question those we come in contact with and immediately shy away from those who we determine are ungodly.  What I believe the verse implies is that we should be the ones who influence them to the ways of God.  They shouldn't influence you or make you doubt what you believe.  The psalmist then goes on to talk about our continuing education.  He talked about delighting in the law of the Lord and meditating on it day and night.  What does it mean to delight in something?  It simply means that it gives you great pleasure.  And most times when something gives you great pleasure you spend time with if often.  As a Christian, you must know that your learning doesn't stop once you are saved.  It is an ongoing process until God carries you on home.  Day and night we should be meditating on the Word.  When you wake up in the morning, when you are driving along in your car, when you exercising at the gym, before you go to bed at night.  It is a continual process.  How else will you know the ways of the Lord?

In most educational systems there is often some form of reward or recognition for completing the program.  You go to school for twelve years and you receive your high school diploma.  You attend college and you receive a B.S. or B.A. degree.  Since I have already told you that this process is a continual process I want to end by talking about your reward.  It's more significant than just a piece of paper to hang on your wall.  This reward system is a constant source of nourishment.  You become tapped into the source.  You get the privilege of receiving a never-ending supply.  Your roots have grown deep into the ground and they are receiving a constant supply of water.  That's the best news I've heard in a long time.  You don't have to call customer service like at OG&E and wait on hold for fifteen minutes only to be told we have to send a technician out.  You have twenty-four access to the One who created the system.  This tells me on days when I am walking around and nearly on empty (like I have been the past week or so) all I have to do is tap into my source and I will have what I need.  I can stop worrying because I know that I am rooted and grounded.  I am going to come out alright because my tree will bear fruit without fail. Hallelujah!

Dear Lord,

My tank feels like it's on empty here lately.  I feel as though sometimes I am a spectator in my own life, simply going through the motions.  I know I can always do a little more in the studying your Word department.  Today I just want to thank you for being available whenever I need you.  And today I need you now.  Thank you for being the one constant in my life when everything else around me seems to fail.  I love you Lord!   In Jesus's Wonderful Name Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you as i so much needed this, God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did I........ Isn't it good to know that God knows exactly what we need when we need it.

    ReplyDelete