Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Conformed or Transformed?

I am always amazed at the things that we have decided to allow in the name of acceptance.  We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or we don't want to be on the unpopular side of a vote.  What is that about? You see, I was raised old school and somewhat very traditional.  And while I realize that it is 2010, the Word of the Lord will never be outdated. So the things that it says still hold true and is very applicable to this day and age.  Yet and still today's Christian would much rather be popular and liked.  This happens individually and collectively.  Do you know how many churches today are open and filled to capacity, preaching half of the Word..  They only want to tell the people what is popular.  'You will receive blessings upon blessings'.  Never mentioning anything about the rough times in life.  And you know what happens, when that person encounters a storm, they have nothing to stand on.  This type of preaching may be helpful on the surface but it is damaging in the end. 

But is that what the Word says?  I don't think so.  We are told in Romans 12:2, 'Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.  Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect'.  This means that it's alright to be on the unpopular side of a vote.  Being a light for God in a dark place isn't about you anyway.  The scripture says that 'if I be lifted up, I'll draw all men unto Me'.  So it's not about you, it's about the God in you.  And people need to see the difference God has made in your life.  Whether on your job, shopping at the mall, eating in a restaurant or driving in your car, people need to see God.  How else will they know that this Christian walk is worth it?  That's like the people who practice this new age discipline with their children.  Again, remember I'm old school.  And the bible says...spare the rod, spoil the child.  My parents spanked me and I'd like to think I turned out okay.   

We were born into a world of sin.  It comes natural for us.  In order for us to change we must be saved.  Our minds must be renewed.  This can only be done through the blood of Jesus.  As we read the Bible and learn from the Master, he transforms us.  And what a wonderful change it is.  This change doesn't make you better than anyone.  Many Christians use this as an opportunity to judge or look down on people.  But if they are reading the Word and studying the heart of Christ they would know that doesn't fall into the will of God.  God's will is that everyone be saved, even though he realizes that this will not be the case.  You see we are told to hate the sin but love the sinner.  Your love and inclusion may be the one thing that finally brings that sinner to his knees.  So take a moment and take a good look in the mirror.  I'm not asking you to think back over your entire life.  I just want you to take a look at yesterday and answer the question if you are conforming or being transformed.  I don't want to know what you say verbally but I am asking about the life you live daily.  My prayer for you is that when people come in contact with you they see the God in you. 

Dear Lord, 

It is so easy to get wrapped up in trying to keep the peace, not be a trouble maker, just going with the flow.  But I know how much you have changed my life and I want to share you with everyone that I come in contact with.  Help me, dear Lord, to be more of an example of you.  I want people to see the God in me everywhere I go.  I know that you have changed my life.  I know that I am who I am today because of you.  Thank you for your transforming power.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment