Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gethsemane

'And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground'. Luke 22:44

Sometimes the prospect of what lies ahead of you is so bad that all you see is cloudy days and dark nights.  The suffering you face has went on for so long and is just about to climax.  When a situation like this arises, what do you do?  Do you become bitter?  Do you give in to temptation and give up?  I know that I have been tempted to do just that.  It's not that I haven't prayed.  It's just that God is taking way to long to answer me.  Doesn't he see the stress that is on my family?  Doesn't he see my accounts going further in the hole?  Doesn't He see this illness taking everything out of me? Doesn't He see my family falling apart?  I don't have anything else in me. This is where we can learn a valuable lesson from the Master. Even He experienced a time in His life where the load seemed to great to bear.  He had prayed  about the situation, however instead of giving up He prayed even more.  With greater emphasis and earnestness than usual, He prayed.  He realized that what He was about to face could not be avoided.  Just like it is inevitable that you will face trials and tribulations.  So PRAY!!!!

Jesus had to have His moment in Gethsamane and so will you. In fact, I would almost bet that at least one person reading this today is at that moment right now.  And for those of you who are not there right now, maybe something can be said to prepare you for what lies ahead.  I have come to realize that there are blessings that just can't be found in periods of blue skies and sunshine.   You may be asking, "Is there no comfort, no consolation, no strength, not even in God when your soul has been placed in the presses?"   But even in that great pressing and tormenting, something wonderful is is taking place. Even when we cry out to God and it seems that He is not present for the moment, we reveal our deep dependency upon God!  So I say again, "Keep on PRAYING!"  Prayer produces the potential, protection, and purpose in us and prepares us for pivotal moments.  Right before the moment of betrayal, Jesus prayed like never before.  The devil thought is was on the verge of giving up.  Instead after He prayed He received more strength.  He was now prepared to go through whatever He had to face.  And in the end He  knew that He would be victorious.  There is no greater mindset than having that great expectation that no matter what you have an eternal hope that in the end you will be alright. 

All day long the pressures of this life are piling up. Maybe you prayed that morning and then again that afternoon.  You are right on the verge of giving up. But before you go to bed, something in your spirit tells you to pray once more.  So you go down on your knees, fervently praying to the Father.  Through the tears you pray some more, confessing  your doubt, listing every burden.  Prayer during these moments not only takes us from our Gethsemane into our trials and suffering, but it also guides us away from temptation. Some of us may be tempted to give up.  Some of us may be tempted to take matters into our own hands.  Others of us may be tempted to fall into the ways of the world.  None of these are options for the believer.  You must fix our eyes on Jesus.  You must know beyond a shadow of a doubt where your  help comes from.  Be encouraged in knowing that 'if you suffer with Christ, you will also reign with Him.  It is not about how quickly you  get out of your storm but about the lesson you learn while in the storm.  It is about the divine gifts that are produced from your greatest pain. 


Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

If it be possible take this cup from me but not my will but thine be done.  Lord help me to endure during times of great affliction.  Help me to prepare by staying in constant communication with you.  For I know that the trying of my faith produces perseverance.  I want to be mature and complete not lacking anything.  For you O Lord are my Rock, my Refuge and my Strength.  I will forever give Your name the praise.  In Jesus' name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment