Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, February 14, 2011

An Attitude of Expectancy

 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. Acts 1:3-4

I have a question for you today.  What is it that the Lord has spoken to You in your spirit that has yet to happen?  One of the prayers that I pray daily is, "Open my ears Lord to hear the spoken and unspoken word from You. Remove all the static from my day so that I am constantly in tune to Your voice."  This means that even while sitting in church on Sunday morning, He may speak to me.  Such was the case today.  Listening to the preacher I was reminded of a promise that was made to me by the Lord. It was a not a promise of immediacy but a promise of anticipation.  You see, I had prayed for something and the response I received was WAIT.  In the past when I received this answer I would behave like a child.  Sometimes I would throw a tantrum and other times I would try to take matters into my own hands.  Now that I have grown up a little bit more in my Christian walk, I have learned that a WAIT from the Lord does not mean NO.  Instead it means that I might need a little bit more preparation for what God has in store for me.  I use that time as an opportunity to ask the Lord to examine me and if He finds anything that should not be, remove it.  I have also learned that this may not be a pretty process, nonetheless I am prepared for the journey.  I do not want to be that person who receives something before being ready only to mess up the blessing God has with my name on it.  I have developed an attitude of expectancy. 

What is an attitude of expectancy?  For me it means that when I pray I have not a single doubt in my mind that my prayer is going to be answered.  It means that  I do not stick out my lip when God tells me to wait because I know that the love God has for me is real and that He only wants what is best for me.  I do not worry if it seem that the bottom is about to fall out before He answers my prayer because I know that when the burdens of this life are in God's hands, that they are in the most capable hands they could be in.  It also means that I do not act surprised when my prayers or answered.  I do not try to take the credit as if it were something I did on my own.  I know the power of the God I serve.  I know that He is able.  That is not just a cute catch phrase I say to pump myself up, only to pick my load right back up.  It is not just a song I sing.  It is what I believe!  I will say this one more time. "My God, Jehovah Jirah, Jehovah Raphi, Jehovah Shalom, my Rock, my Strong Tower IS able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all I could ever ask or think."  (Ephesians 3:20)  So I will trust Him.  Doubt is not an option.  The Bible tells us to 'Wait on the Lord.  Be of good courage and He shall strengthen thine heart.  Wait I say on the Lord'.  (Psalm 27:14)  So while you are waiting on God to move on your behalf, stand strong.  I know there may be naysayers coming against you.  You might be hearing  it from your spouse, your family, your friends.  "Why don't you give up?  It's about time to take matters into your owns hands." Don't listen to them.  Let God strengthen your heart. Don't stop praising Him.  I am starting to believe there is something to that saying, 'Praise your way through'.  In the past I might have just shut down, but now I know how to persevere.  My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness.  I dare not trust the sweetest frame but holy lean on Jesus Name.  I'm standing on the Rock.  I realize that you may have been waiting a long time to see God's promise come to pass.  Today I am here to encourage you not to give up.  Keep holding on.  God is not a man that He should lie.  It is all for His purpose.  One promise I look forward to more than anything is the day when I get to see my Savior's face and as one of my favorite songs says...'It will be worth it all when I see Jesus'.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thou who made me and knows everything about me.  I thank You today for Your promise.  I stand today knowing that whatever You have promised me will come to pass.  I stand today with an attitude of expectancy, knowing that it will work out for my good.  I bind that spirit of doubt and stand boldly on Your Word.  I will forever praise Your Holy name.  That name that is above every name.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment