Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Grace Is...

'Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me'. 
II Corinthians 12:9

Today I discovered something about myself.  There are still some areas of my life that God still needs to do some pruning.  Some parts I sometimes wish I could cut off myself.  Every time I look around there it goes rearing its ugly head.  I really thought I had kicked it this time.  But no sooner than I started my celebration of success, there it goes again.  At first I made excuses.  "Certain people just bring it out of me," I said.  Even though I knew that wasn't the truth.  It sounded good though.  I knew in my heart that I just hadn't surrendered it totally to God.  It was my one weakness, although at times it was my greatest strength.  So what was I to do.  That is when the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, "My grace is all you need." 

Now that is a mighty powerful statement.  Not some...but ALL I need.  I didn't have to rely on the knowledge I had accumulated over the years.  I didn't even need to rely on others.  All I needed was God.  What is it about God's grace that qualifies it as ALL I need.  So what is grace?  The definition I like the best is the 'freely given, unmerited favor of God'.  You mean I don't have to do anything to earn it.  Absolutely not.  I can never be good enough to earn God's favor.  Thank you Jesus!  Why?  Because I know that I will always slip up.  One more question.  You mean I can never do anything to mess it up?  Absolutely not.  God knew going in that once Adam sinned we would never be the same again.  That is why He sent the perfect sacrifice to die on that cross for our sins.  It is no accident that you are here today.  But by the grace of God... No need to look down on yourself because of mistakes you made.  God is able to use those mistakes as a testimony of His wonder-working power.  We all have weaknesses.  But when we submit those weaknesses over to the One who is sufficient, then our weaknesses become strengths used to glorify God.  Yes, I still might get upset with myself when I sleep up and speak before I pray or become angry or allow my heart to become hardened with unforgiveness.  That's alright because when I recognize that I am upset with myself I know that is just the work of the Word (that is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword) and the Holy Spirit.  I thank God today.  I don't have to sit and beg and plead for God's grace.  He gives it to me freely, simply because I am His child.  Hallelujah!

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercies,
To multiplied trials His multiplied peace.
When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.
His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.
--Annie Johnson Flint

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You.  Thank You Father for your grace. Thank You for the quickening power of Your Word and the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.  I thank You for it's convicting power.  Grace that kept me and never left me.  Through all my ups and downs,  the times I have fallen.  Grace has been there each and every time.  Lord I know I don't deserve it.  I will be eternally grateful.  I submit  (this area - be specific) of my life to You.  I know that it is a weakness of mine.  Please continue to lead, guide and direct me.  I want less of me and more of You.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment