Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Self Portrait

For out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. Matthew 12:34b

Self-examination has been my theme for 2011.  Before I can look at anyone else and say what is wrong with them, I must first take a good look in the mirror.  Once a year sometimes twice a year my family and I take family pictures. This year I have been thinking about having a self portrait done.  What is a self portrait?  Wikipedia defines a self portrait as a representation of an artist, drawn, painted, photographed, or sculpted by the artist.  When I think about what I want my self portrait to represent the most, my answer is 'a heart like God'.  There is a popular song out there that says, 'I want a heart that forgives, a heart full of love... a heart that loves everybody even my enemies. This is no easy task, at least not on my own.  I need a God to step in and make some major changes in order for my portrait to reflect a heart like God.  A Self Portrait is not only what we speak but how we live. A lot of people can have good lip talk but it takes a lot for a person to have some good heart talk.

My question for you today is what type of life are you sculpting?  Who does your life represent?  This is not about what others think about you because at the end of the day you, alone, have to answer to the Almighty God.  Every time you speak you are painting a self portrait of yourself to other people.  And, furthermore, your communication includes not only what you say but your nonverbals also.  You know those times when your mouth is saying one thing but your eyes and your body language another.  All these things you are saying directly reflect what is in your heart.  So now my question for you is what are you taking in?  If you are taking in junk then that is what is going to come out.  The believer should have a regular intake of the Word of God in order for it to reflect in his or her self portrait.  It doesn't help a person's health if he or she eats vegetables every blue moon.  The tests at the doctor's office are going to reflect what he has eaten on a regular basis. You must ask God to 'create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me'.  'Search me and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts'.  Allow God to do some clean-up.  Now this process may be a little painful but it will be worth it.  Give God complete control of your life so that you can be all that He wants you to be. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your mercy and your grace.  Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.  Take my heart and transform it.  I want my heart to be a reflection of yours so that when I speak others will know that I am your child.  In Jesus' Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment