Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I read something today that said, 'Every thought, word or act is either a seed sown to the flesh or to the Spirit'.  Simple every day things that look innocent on the outside may be harmful on the  inside to your very being.  This may seem a bit extreme but if you have not already sown seeds to the Spirit, making that your primary focus, then you are instead sowing seeds to the flesh.  Everything from the innocent magazine article to the television program set to record on your DVR each week, can be subtle seeds sown to the flesh.  Wondering why your prayers are not being answered or why you don't recognize the voice of the Lord?  It could be that the right seeds have not been sown and instead you have increased the distance between you and God by focusing on things of the world. 

Let's take a look at I John 2:15-17.  'Do not love the world or the things of the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world -- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world.  And the world is passing away with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever'.  You and I reside in this world but when we decide to make Jesus our Lord and Savior we are no longer of this world  And the true test of the love of God that now inhabits our very being is the position of God as first place in our lives.  So how do we treat someone who has the highest priority in our lives?  We definitely don't put off communion with Him for our favorite television program or a night out on the town.  That would be like me spending time with everyone but the husband God has blessed me with in the name of a job and girlfriends.  I can't speak for any of you but I know there have been times when my focus was supposed  to be on God and instead I decided to watch television, go hang out with friends, and yes even sleep.  I know that sleep is essential but I am always reminded of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, when He asked His disciples could you not watch with me one hour.  I think about the enormous amount of pressure He was about to face.  It reminds me of when the Lord lays on my heart to pray for my sister or my brother and I just blow it off.  I fail to realize that God is using me to stand in the gap for someone who may be down in spirit, in need of some encouragement. 

A genuine Christian is marked by love and an obedience to God.  There is no middle ground.  A choice must be made.  There must be a true realization that 'every good and perfect gift comes from the Lord'. (James 1:17)  Anything you have is a blessing from God.  These blessings are not to be used as a weapon for you to look down on others and what they don't have.  Using these blessings to impress other people, causing haughtiness and exaggerations.  The same God who gave these blessings to you also has the power to take them away when they are not being used for His glory.  This world is not your home.  You are just passing through.  The believer should make good use of this knowledge.  Time should be spent sowing seeds of love, kindness, joy, peace, gentleness, etc.  When you do this your will reap an inevitable harvest of blessing. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I praise Your name for You reign. You are robed in majesty and strength.  I confess my sins to You.  Each and every day Lord I desire less of me and more of You.  Create in me a clean heart so that I may sow seeds of love and kindness and mercy to my sister and my  brother.  Help me to forgive my fellow man.  Thank You for Your steadfast love.  How great are Your works O Lord.  Even though I don't always understand Your ways, I will remain faithful to You.  I will trust and obey You in all areas of my life.  Lead me along the path of truth.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment