Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

This Is My Confession

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.
James 5:16

Ever wonder why at times your prayers go unanswered.  Of course there may be various reasons.  Maybe God has answered and you don't like His answer.  Another reason may be that you are not ready to receive the answer and He is making you wait.  Sometimes our prayers are not answered because we have failed to confess our sins.  You may have confessed in a non-specific blanket prayer.  But sometimes when you know that you have done someone wrong, that isn't good enough.  A specific, detailed confession needs to made not only to God but to that person you have done wrong also.  There are times that the person may not receive your apology and that is fine, as long as you have been obedient to God and the Word. 

Maybe this have never happened to you.  But I remember when I was at my lowest point.  I didn't have the energy to reach out to others.  Truth be told I had done enough reaching out and God was now needing the one-on-one time I had neglected to give Him when all was well.  He needed to show me that He alone was my source in time of trouble.  The One I should reach out to first before picking up the phone to call anyone.  After spending my quality time with God, something spoke to my spirit and told me to reach out to a few of my friends.  The funny thing is that I couldn't seem to figure out what I had done wrong.  At first I was very adamant that I was not going to do it.  But I continued to receive the same message in my spirit.  Finally I decided to be obedient.  Although my apology was not received by all, I realized that was not the reason God had me to confess.  I soon discovered a peace in my spirit.  A peace that came from being released from any obligation I may have felt.  I also received a gift - a realization of true friendship. The ones that embraced my apology and reached out to me and in those few cases a stronger than ever friendship was formed. 

You see, we may not always understand God's methods but the results achieved are always consistent.  He knows just what we need to achieve true freedom of mind, body and soul.  And one thing I knew for sure I did not want my prayers to be hindered because of disobedience.  On top of which, the 'B' portion of James 5:16 says, 'the earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results'.  How else can your prayers be effective and achieve the expected results without true confession?  Prayer has power.  It changes things.  Situation, marriages, finances, health conditions.  It restores, heals, resurrects, rejuvenates.  How?  Not because of the words we say but through our sincerity of heart.  Laying it all on the altar for God to handle.  I don't know about you but I don't want my lack of confession to tie God's hands.  I want my prayers to achieve God's intended results.  What about you?

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I come to You today in the humblest way that I know how.  First I come confessing my sins that I have committed in word, thought or deed.  Sins against my sister or my brother, and especially sins against You.  Thank You for forgiving my sins.  For Your Word says that if I confess my sins You are faithful and just to forgive me of my sins and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.  Create in me a clean heart  O God and renew a right spirit within me.  My hearts desire is to be more like You.  In Jesus' wonderful name I pray Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. The wonder of our Lord is that He is so accessible to us in the common things of our lives: the cup of water...breaking of the bread...welcoming children into our arms...fellowship over a meal...giving thanks.

    Holding Forth the Word of Life
    Rev. Mona G. Rodgers

    ReplyDelete