Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Timely Word of Encouragement

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing. 
 I Thessalonians 5:11

My prayer today and everyday is, "Lord, let your line shine in me so that others may see You through me."  It is a simple prayer, yet it is one that says alot.  You see, in most cases, people will only see Jesus through you and I.  We should strive to build one another up.  Not just by accident but a conscious decision.  There are people that will never open a Bible, never step foot inside a church but they will interact with you at work, in the grocery store, at the mall.  They will drive beside you on the highway,  sit in class with you at the university.  They will be waiting to see your reaction to the trials that you face.  Will you respond in love when faced with adversity?  Will you 'do good to them that despitefully use you'?  When you see your sister or brother stumble will you reach out your hand to lift her or him up or will you kick them when they are down?   

So what is encouragement?  It is the act of giving hope or support that inspires confidence and a will to keep on keeping on.  It doesn't cost any money. It should be woven into your values and day-to-day lifestyles.  After all, 'how delightful is a timely word' (Proverbs 15:23).  Anyone can be a critic but a child of God should be a cheerleader.  Your speech should elevate, edify, and energize them.  It should help bring about hope to an otherwise desperate situation.  All of us know someone who is in need of some encouragement.  The divorcee trying to rebuild his/her life after divorce.  The man who just received bad news from the doctor.  A church leader you seeing bearing a heavy load.  A widow who is now alone after thirty years of marriage.  A child who is being used as leverage between parents.  A friend caring for an elderly parent.  A victim of a major layoff.  The person who just lost everything he had in a house fire.  All of these people are looking for someone to tell them that it is going to be okay.  To wrap their loving arms around them and let them know that they are praying for them.  It is not about providing financial assistance to bail them out in their time of need.  It is about flashing them a smile that lets them know to 'Hold On'

Everyone is struggling with something.  Take for example, the alcoholic on the verge of taking a drink after being sober for ten years.  She doesn't need to be reminded of how awful of a person she was when she used to drank.  She needs to be told how much she is loved and how amazing it is that she has committed her life to being a better person.  She needs to be reminded that God forgives.  Popular Scottish Theologian, William Barclay writes, ’One of the highest of human duties is the DUTY OF ENCOURAGEMENT.  The world is full of people who will step on whoever gets in the way of their next success story.  A discourager whose only job is to make a person feel worse during the lowest time in their life.  One who is jealous or envious.  One who is full of strife in his/her own heart.  Or maybe they just feel that we can do a better job so they decide to criticize instead of encourage.  I have been guilty of this very thing.  Sometimes I am not fully aware that a person's behavior is a result of deeper pain going on the inside.  All I can see is that they are not behaving as I would have behaved.  So I begin to point out their faults.  I tell myself that what I am saying is okay because they should know better.  I don't look at the unspoken words hidden behind the fake smile they have plastered on their face.  I haven't entered the situation in love asking God to give me the words to say to speak life and not death.  Through the changing power of the Word I have learned that my job is to plant the seed.  I have said many times before that it is God who gives the increase.  I look at the people who God has positioned in my life.  The friends who always encourage me to move forward.   My family who loves me in spite of my many faults.  God knows that I am hard enough on myself so I need people around me who are going to push me to continue on... in love.  Not by pointing out my mistakes or shortcomings.  The Bible tells us to 'he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed'.  (Proverbs 11:25)  What will you do to encourage your brother or sister today?  Decide today to go out of your way to be an extraordinary encourager.  Speak Life.  Pray.  Sometimes all it takes is to be present.  You don't have to say a word.  Smile.  Give a hug.  Follow Christ's example and let your light shine. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the gift of Your Son and the guidance provided through Your Word.  Lord, I ask  that You let me be a light in dark places.  Shining not so I may be uplifted but so others can see You through me.  Help me to speak words of love in all situations.  Strengthen me to help remind others that they are never alone and You are always with them.  You have the situation under control and as long as they keep their hand in your hand everything will be alright.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment