Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Non-Traditional Route

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,  by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,  and since we have a great priest over the house of God,  let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful'. Hebrews 10:19-23

Normally I take the same route everywhere I go.  I don't often go to many different places so I have the mileage logged on my truck. I know what time to leave my house to get me to church.  To my mom's house.  My sister's house.  The mall.  School.   Nothing frustrates me more than when something causes me to take an alternate route.  But I have learned with all the bad weather to expect the unexpected.  Sometimes taking a detour is a means of discovery for something new and better.  Let's take for example my route to school.  I know exactly what time to leave my house to get to class by 9:30 AM.  One particular day there was a roadblock set up on the main street I normally took that led me to the highway.  So there I was driving down another road, that was an intermediary to get me to another road and then to the highway.  I remember fussing all the way to school just knowing that I was going to be late.  The funny thing was when I finally arrived at school and looked at my clock I had actually arrived five minutes earlier than my normal time.  How could that be?

It made me realize that my way of doing things may not be the best method.  It may even be something that I have worked on over and over again until I thought it was perfected.  The funny thing is that my traditional methods may not be what God had in mind for my life.  He may have it that I need to take some non-traditional routes to get me in the right position to be used for His glory.  My plan was to get married one time and raise a family together.  However that didn't happen.  I went through a deep valley. Over the river and through the woods.  I lost myself only to find myself by looking through the eyes of my Lord and Savior.  It was not the route that I would have chosen but it was what was best for me.  I often talk about the birth of my son and how he was born out of wedlock.  I have never called him a mistake.  When he was born my life took a detour but after all these years , God made it to where I could finish my goal. 

After Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree, sin entered the world.  Because of this, the law was created.  But man could not uphold the law.  No matter how they tried, it continued to be broken.  Mankind needed something greater than the law.  That is when God decided to send His only begotten Son to the world to die for our sins.  It was not the traditional route and that is why so many people did not accept it.  For some reason we as a people only feel right when we are in complete control of the situation. But when Jesus entered the equation, it took us out of power.  One man could no longer judge another man because grace entered the picture.  There was a realization that we could not get it together on our own.  Right now you may be headed on what could be considered a dead end street to the human eye.  You may be spending countless hours complaining, frustrated, discouraged, and depressed about what is going on in your life.  The sky is so cloudy that you cannot see a trace of blue sky in sight.  But the scripture above tells us that we should approach our circumstances with confidence.  We should hold fast to the benefits of the New Covenant in Christ.  This is not the time to withdraw from God and those who encourage you in the faith.  In fact, it is at this time that you should draw near to God.  Dig deeper into the Word.  Pray without ceasing and expect things to come out alright.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for being my guide, my protection and my strength.  For providing a full assurance of faith that whatever situation I may face, You always have my best interest at heart.  Providing for me even in dark places.  Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou are with me.  Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Help me to continue to encourage my sister and brother even in my time of despair.  Let me hold on, without wavering, no matter what it is.  Even in my storm I will continue to give You the praise.  In Jesus' Name I pray Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment