Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Order My Steps

I have been singing the song 'Order My Steps' all day long.  While walking through the courtyard I thought about the words to this song.  It took me back to my days at True Vine Independent Baptist Church and Vacation Bible School when we would recite the Pledge to the Bible.  It went like this:

I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word, I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and will hide its words in my heart that I might not sin against God.

There is one sure fire way to know the will of the Father and that is to read His Word.  And not just read it out of duty but to truly meditate on it day and night.  The Word contains wisdom and knowledge that is necessary for us to live a life that is pleasing to God.  Psalm 119:11 says, 'I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you'. The Word should be stored up in our hearts as a treasure, the most valuable thing we possess. One cannot fight against sin in his or her own strength.  You must be guided by the precepts in the Word of God.  As I continued to hum the song when I got back to my desk, I thought about all the times I had turned to others for advice, guidance or direction.  I also thought about how listening to that advice got me in a world of trouble.  This trouble could have been avoided if I had listened to the Holy Spirit directing me to look up.  I have found that is what makes the difference between the right and wrong path at the crossroads.  For it is in the Word that we are told to 'Be ye holy as I am holy'. (I Peter 1:16) It is in the Word that we are instructed to 'Put on the whole armor of God so that you will be able to stand against the wiles of the devil'.  The Word is our best antidote against sin.

So what does this mean for you today?  It is not enough to just read the Word, but you must receive it into your affections; mix it with faith, lay it up in your mind and memory for future use.  Why?  Because the devil is real.  When God asked Satan where he had come from, he stated, ""I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that's going on."  He is watching and waiting for that moment of weakness in your life.  That time when you have become to busy to read and study the Word.  When you are distracted by life.  It is during that time when you need to be able to pull from your treasure chest.  Remembering verses like: "But my God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory". (Phil.4:19) "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up on wings as eagles.They shall run and not be weary.  They shall walk and not faint". ( Isaiah 40:31) Verses like "I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears". (Psalm 34:4) God has given us the tools you need to live a victorious life.  All you need to do is use the tools provided.  Allow the Word to be that lamp unto your feet and a light unto your pathway. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Your Word.  Thank you for not leaving me here all alone to fight the devil and sin by myself.  Help me to make reading and studying the Word a priority.  Today let me put on the whole armor of God that I may be able to stand against the wiles of devil.  Help me to love my sister and my brother, to let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight O God, for You are my strength and my Redeemer.  I realize that it is in You that live amd breathe and have my being.  I will forever give Your name the praise.  In Jesus Most Wonderful Name I Pray Amen. 













1 comment:

  1. Like the song we sung the other day: Let the Word do the work!

    ReplyDelete