Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Just A Prayer Away

'Why, O Lord, do you stand far away? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble'?  Psalm 10:1

I find myself at a familiar place.  A place of contradiction between my heart and my head.  My physical man and my spiritual being.  Here I stand at a place where God seems distant.  I know what the scripture says, 'Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?  If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there...even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast'. (Psalm 139:7-8,10, ESV)  Even so, with all that's going on around me I find myself like the Psalmist asking, "Lord where are you?"  Ever been there.  You sit and watch all the evil in the world.  Then sickness and death hits close to home.  Jealousy, envy, strife, murder, war, and so much more.  One would think that God would intervene and put a stop to all the madness. 

As I sit and ponder this subject, a puzzling thought comes to my mind...each and every Sunday thousands of people go to church.  Many who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, walking in favor with all the rights and privileges of a child of God.  They are fed the Word of God but when calamity comes they turn away afraid, doubting God. Why is that?   I can recall being one of those Christians (you know the kind who hadn't developed a personal relationship with the Lord outside of Sunday morning).  But over time there was something about the Word, the more you hear it, the more you want to know about it.  You begin to take every opportunity you can to spend time in it.  And I'm sure I am not alone.  But every now and then I get weak.  Things start to pile up.  The first couple of tests and trials, your faith is strong.  You stand firm in your faith.  Then the third and the fourth thing occurs and you begin to wonder if the end is in sight.  You find yourself with nothing else to do but cry out to the Lord.  "JESUS!, in the words of Leandria  Johnson's new single.  And just as quick as you call His name He is there providing you the necessary relief you need to run on just a little while longer.  He refreshes your spirit.  He restores your soul. 

So what is my response to the Psalmist in the verse above?  He is 'just a prayer away'.  It may seem that He is acting indifferent and unconcerned when in fact He is all the while working He is working on your behalf.  Call His name and I guarantee that He hears you.  In fact, you can call Him at the same exact time that I call Him and He hears both of us.  He knows your voice.  There is no limit to the amount of times you can call on Him, He is always available. He loves to hear your voice. Your minutes never expire and there is never a bad signal.  Each and every time you call He answers.  I know there are times that it seems you are all alone...that God doesn't care.  I am here to encourage you today and remind you that He does care.  Have a little talk with Him.  Tell Him everything that is on Your mind.  Spend some time in Your prayer closet.  Come out believing that God is working and everything is going to be alright. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Your eternal presence.  I thank You because there is never a time when you are not near.  Help me to have a better prayer life. A more consistent prayer life.  One that turns to You, not only in a time of crisis but also during a time of calm.  Not just in a time of want but also in a time of plenty.  My heart's desire is to know You more. Lord I accept Your will for my life.  I know that whatever it is that You take me through, You will give me what I need to make it through.  Thank you for Your sustaining power and for refreshment.  In Jesus' Precious name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment