Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Our Comforter

“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."  John 14:18

I'm reading a book right now by Charles Swindoll entitled, Embraced By The Spirit. The theme of the book is about developing a relationship with the Holy Spirit and receiving the full benefit of His indwelling in our hearts. So what do you do when the very life that you have come to know is turned upside down?  When the very person you believed in the most lets you down.  Your security blanket is lost.  The one you love is gone on to live with the Lord.  Who will you go to now to have those conversations that you couldn't tell to anyone else?  The company is going out of business and you have mouths to feed at home. How are you going to pay your bills or buy groceries.   I know that, as a Christian, you want to tell yourself that everything will be okay.  That you can handle it.  You've read the scriptures.  You don't want others to know that this incident has shaken the very foundation of your faith.  You still say all the right things but when you are alone the questions begin to come. So what do you do?

When situations like the ones mentioned above are taking place in your life it is easy to feel like you are alone.  You feel like no one is there for you even though there may be people around you.  You may even feel that God has abandoned you.  After all He is sovereign.  He could have stopped this from happening to you but instead He allowed it to happen.  Now you are scared, worried, alone. Read again the words Jesus spoke to His disciples in John 14:18.  Jesus promised that He would not leave you comfortless (or orphaned).  Just another indication that God was looking down the road and working on your behalf.  He was making preparation for you to receive His promise.  Although you may experiencing some or all of the emotions I listed above you can take comfort in knowing that you are not alone for you have a Comforter.  One who will provide inner strength during your weakest moments.  A Comforter who is able to speak to the Father on your behalf when you don't have the words.  When the world that you once knew is no more.  Jesus himself, during His time down here on earth, experienced some of the very things that you may be feeling.  By giving us a Comforter, He was saying that I love you too much to abandon you.  I am going to provide for your future well-being.  Praise God!  He left you with everything that you would need for your time here on earth, especially during those difficult moments.

This word today comes at a very timely moment.  I think about how even though I grieve the loss of someone I loved, I am happy because of the things He left with me and so many others.  Driving in my car I hear the nuggets of wisdom that He shared throughout His ministry and I'm grateful.  I can only imagine how the disciples felt having experienced the teaching and preaching of Jesus firsthand.  How sad they must have felt when they learned of His upcoming death.  Which is why He quickly told them, "Don't worry.  I got you covered.  I am not leaving you alone. I will come to you through my Spirit.  I will speak to you through the Word.  I will continue to show you love through visits of grace and mercies that are new every morning.  That is why you can go on.  There is still work for you to do. 

Father, in the midst of my tears I know that You are still worthy.  Thank You for not leaving me alone to deal with the difficulties of life.  I rejoice because I know that it is in my weakest moments that you are able to stand up in me and show Your strength.  I know that the reason that I am still standing today is because of You.  I thank You today for the Holy Spirit that dwells within me. I know that there have been many times that I didn't have the words to say and yet the Holy Spirit made intercession for me and I'm still here today.  Help me not to doubt but to trust You and stand on Your promise that You will never leave me nor forsake me.  I will forever give Your name the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment