Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

At The Proper Time

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.  I Peter 5:6-7

Have you ever found yourself in a holding pattern?  What is a holding pattern?  In studying I found two definitions.  The first, 'The flight path maintained by an aircraft awaiting permission to land' and the second, 'A state or period of no progress or change'.  This is the point where you have taken off along a path, this walk called Christianity.  During this flight you are trying your best to follow the course mapped out for you through the Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit.  You have come to accept that 'in this world you will have tribulations'.  You know that test and trials will come.  You have developed a relationship with the Lord and believe that what He says He will do.  Your only problem is 'why is it taking so long'? You are at the point, at this very moment, that you are tempted to steer off course and take over as Captain.  Today I am here to encourage you not to do this.  If there is one point that has been inbredded in my mind, it is that our Heavenly Father knows best. 

It's hard sometimes to understand the concept that God sees everything that you go through and doesn't stop it.  You read in His Word that He has the power to speak and the winds and waves obey.  You sing a song that says 'He's An On Time God'.  But in the back of your mind, as you cry yourself to sleep quietly, you wonder if He really cares. You know, there is a very important fact that I have come to know and that is that it is not about understanding what is going on in your life.  It is more about trusting and believing that God who is Sovereign has it all under control and is working it out for your good.  He may choose to leave you on a difficult job or in a difficult marriage to help you remember your dependence on Him and to experience His power firsthand.  You may never win the lottery and escape all your financial worries.  I stopped by to tell you that there is nothing that you can do on your own.  There is no success that you have had in this life that He did not carefully orchestrate.  Yes, your life may be in a holding pattern right now but you can praise God for His ability see ahead to cloudy skies and stormy weather and keep you safe through it all.  You just have to keep the faith. 

Verse six talks about 'at the proper time', after giving some clear instructions on 'right living'.   I don't know about you but my first question was "When is this?"  Barnes Notes on the Bible gives two distinct thoughts as to what this might mean.  First, this could be an assurance that your deliverance would come at some point.  You will not always be in this state.  Secondly, your deliverance may come in due time, right when you need it. Maybe in the present life or maybe in the life to come.  In the meanwhile you are commanded to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord, serving Him in all you do.  Go ahead and tell God all about your problems.  He does care and at the proper time He will permit landing.  It is no secret what God can do, what He has done for others He will do for you. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I come to You at this moment thanking You and praising You for sustaining me. So many times I become consumed with the present that I can't see the bright future You have planned for me.  Help me to resist the temptation to do things on my own.  Let me wait for your perfect timing.  Guide my feet while I run this race.  I may not understand but I don't need to, as long as I'm in Your hands I know that everything is going to be alright.  In Jesus' Precious Name I pray Amen.

1 comment: