Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Already

Such a simple word, with such a powerful meaning.  The word 'already' by definition means 'prior to a specified time' or 'by this time'.  As  I continue to reflect on the life of Pastor A. G. Woodberry, I am reminded of a series he taught on Elijah, specifically the story of Elijah and the widow at Zarephath.  Most of you are already pretty familiar with the story but I want to share some nuggets of wisdom that I have turned to on many a sleepless night. 

There Elijah was after predicting a drought.  There would be no dew or rain.  I wonder if Elijah wondered what he would drink during that time.  Surprisingly enough as you read on you find that the word of the Lord came to him instructing him to 'depart from here and turn eastward and hide yourself by the brook Cherith, which is east of Jordan.  You shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there'.  (I Kings 17:2-4)  Now there may be those of you who are wondering what the word 'already' has to do with this story.  Well let me tell you.  I remember a time in my life when I was experiencing a season of drought.  Everything in my life had seemingly dried up.  I was stressed and worried, wondering what direction my life was headed.  In my limited vision I couldn't see past the present.  But now I look back and realize that God had already looked ahead.  Hallelujah!

Elijah didn't know where his next drink would come from but God did.  In fact his life had been directed by God.  And you must know that He is directing your life.  In fact he has guided you to 'a place called there' so that He may show you His protection, His provision, and most of all His promise.  Just last week I was reminded that 'God will never leave me nor forsake me'.  He's always there.  There is not a place you can go that the hands of the Lord won't reach.  Sometimes He sends you to those places of drought to remind you that you need Him for everything.  Even in moments of grief that many of us are in now, God has already provided you with a place of protection, provision and most importantly a promise.  What is that promise?  My daughter Peaches said it so plainly on Saturday.  "Momma don't cry, we will see Poppy again."  That is why 'we do not weep as those who have no hope'. (I Thessalonians 4:13)  Another promise....'and God shall wipe away every tear from their eyes' (Revelation 21:4). Want another one...'weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning' (Psalm 30:5).  And what about the most important promise...He's coming back again!  I'm alright with a little suffering down here on earth because when I get to Heaven, O What a time!  That's why I praise Him! Although my heart is sad, I can't help but picture my Pastor  sitting with the Savior, talking to his parents, hanging out with old friends, having a hallelujah good time.  Church at the Mount magnified to the 100th power.

I don't know where your 'THERE' is right now but one thing I do not that God has 'ALREADY' provided a brook.  And even when that brook dries up, he has made provision with a woman at Zarephath.  For my God is a Waymaker!  He is a Burden Bearer!  He is a Heavy Load Sharer!  And even in the midst of a drought He will give you JOY! Unspeakable JOY!

Heavenly Father,

I thank You today for Your promise.  I know that You haven't brought me this far to leave me.  In fact You have brought me to this place for such a time as this so that You may be glorified.  I might be a little sad right now but deep down I know that Your Word is true and that it will accomplish what You have designed it to do.  Help me to be obedient to Your Word, listening to Your still, small voice as it leads me along the path You have laid out for my life.  I will continue to  give Your name all the glory, honor and praise you so richly deserve.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

1 comment: